not new news, but still saddening.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All it takes is education. Intelligence is what sets the human race apart from all other living things. We have the ability to think, plan, and carry out actions that benefit us. Animals on the reef can't "think" and save themselves. We have put a whole lot of species in grave danger and those species can't do anything about it. We got them into this mess, and it's gonna take us to get them out. If the public was educated we wouldn't have this problem. People would realize the problem and correct it. Unfortunately, 90% of Americans are ignorant on very basic principles such as pollution, harvesting of animals, etc. People don't think for the future, they do what benefits them at that point in time

Wow great thread. Now my 2 cents We are repeating history we came from Mars, were we did the same thing screwed the planet over used it up without regard for the next gen
Look at the signs...... Space men it was us! (Nature waste nothing yet we use only 10% of our brain? make sense?) We destroyed one planet and we now destroy another. The history is written we just just chose to ignore it (or hide it ) in order to make a buck.
We have almost come full circle when we finely kill this planet the wise will go to yet another and start over but they will leave the high tec crap behind just like before. Because if we can rape our world we will.
Better to start in the Stone age it will take thousands of years to get were we are now, and maby just maby we'll learn this time. before it's to late..........

I love the Martian theory (as if we inhabited Mars prior to coming to earth) but I tend to subscribe that non-human life inhabited and migrated from Mars (or Venus). If humankind made the voyage, I would think we would be far more advanced.

What I find most interesting though is how many global warming debates seem to neglect the fact that it is inevitable. The Sun is constantly expanding outward from its core and in to our great solar system. Our pollution and planetary neglect may well indeed worsen the situation and even possibly speed up the process, but therein lies "our" debate.

Either way, the Sun will eventually engulf all of the planets before collapsing unto itself and creating one of the most beautiful things in existence, the super nova!

Based on that logic, it almost seems more likely that life began on Mercury as our Sun was very young and the distance ratio created an ideal scenario for life. Perhaps life then advanced to Venus as both parasitic and symbiotic organisms would certainly struggle to survive. Venus to Earth, Earth to Mars, and beyond!

And I agree, great thread!

I believe the theory is that there was intelligent life on mars like ourselves that slowly destroyed the planet as we r today and eventually there was a mass extinction that only bacteria survived. Then a large meteor or asteroid hit and sent a colony of bacteria that eventually landed on earth that evolved into life on earth. Either way u make a very good point

i don't think there was ever any life on any other planets in our solar system. the idea sounds as fantastic as a god who loves all creatures, but designs them to eat each other alive.

Idk. It seems pretty plausible. Especially considering the first bacteria on earth were anaerobic and could possibly have survived in space. But to be honest until its proven fact its all a matter of opinion.

Life feeds on life.

I do often wonder about the logic behind something that could create such a complex system and not be able to turn down the pain and suffering, at least a little bit.

Hey the great Einstein said religion without science is lame but science without religion is blind

i don't think there was ever any life on any other planets in our solar system. the idea sounds as fantastic as a god who loves all creatures, but designs them to eat each other alive.

i'd have to agree with you there

mr_X said:

When you consider how many planets and solar systems that we cannot even begin to count,isn't it a little Conceited of us to think we would be the only planet with life?

This is a saltwater reef forum right? I don't think that my coral cultivation and collection of common fish species are harming the planet. Even the cost of running my tank is offset by the thousands of trees I am lucky enough to own. I think Mr_X and the others on this forum do a service in helping us keep these animals alive and happy for at least their natural lifespan. I am a huge pessimist, but I don't think our hobby should provoke any guilt. Unless you are an idiot that likes to flush thousands of dollars down the toilet.

i don't either its not really the hobby its the polution that is killing them, the fact that we harvest corals doesn't help, but as for fish they reprouce liek fiends in the wild so i doubt they are at a short supply

Gti_Leo said:
i don't either its not really the hobby its the polution that is killing them, the fact that we harvest corals doesn't help, but as for fish they reprouce liek fiends in the wild so i doubt they are at a short supply

I agree,the fact that more of us are in the reef aquarium hobby is actually helping to preserve the reefs some.Because of the increased demand for fish and corals,more and more of both are being raised and grown for us and not having to be taken from the reefs.

My 75 gallon reef is small to some but Very few things give me more enjoyment.

Some corals should only be collected for scientific research and never seen in the LFS. If it can't be artificially cultivated, it shouldn't be offered at all. As far as fish go, the dragonets are pretty close to being a fish that shouldn't be offered unless tank raised. There are many stories of success but I will bet they are 1 in 100 fish that survive for over 2 years. Yet a couple of skinny starving green mandarins showed up at the LFS today for less than $20 a piece. Their overall chance at survival is close to zero. I know they are fish, not puppies, but I still hate to see the little guys wasting away at the LFS.

The Jam-is-on said:
I love the Martian theory (as if we inhabited Mars prior to coming to earth) but I tend to subscribe that non-human life inhabited and migrated from Mars (or Venus). If humankind made the voyage, I would think we would be far more advanced.

What I find most interesting though is how many global warming debates seem to neglect the fact that it is inevitable. The Sun is constantly expanding outward from its core and in to our great solar system. Our pollution and planetary neglect may well indeed worsen the situation and even possibly speed up the process, but therein lies "our" debate.

Either way, the Sun will eventually engulf all of the planets before collapsing unto itself and creating one of the most beautiful things in existence, the super nova!

Based on that logic, it almost seems more likely that life began on Mercury as our Sun was very young and the distance ratio created an ideal scenario for life. Perhaps life then advanced to Venus as both parasitic and symbiotic organisms would certainly struggle to survive. Venus to Earth, Earth to Mars, and beyond!

And I agree, great thread!

As much as you are right about the sun theory, that is still millions of years away from becoming a reality.

As much as you are right about the sun theory, that is still millions of years away from becoming a reality.

Absolutely! Which makes me wonder just how much, if any, real effect our emissions and consumption have on the whole process. I think anyone would have to agree that our irresponsible consumption of natural resources would make the planet far less comfortable for us to inhabit but are we really capable of causing our own extinction? Would we be capable of this within our lifetime? How many generations? If the oil runs out, would we not adapt to other means?

It seems to me that the earth and the universe continually adapt in the favor of sustaining life, albeit at an extremely slow rate, so would it not be plausible that life on the planet would adapt just as well. Dinosaurs were here and now they aren't. We are here now and may very well be gone eventually. Science tends to show a trend of species thriving and facing eventual extinction. Should we be any different? Our time here may just be another blink of the eye of existence paving the way for little green earthlings.

Back
Top Bottom