Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
not new news, but still saddening.

every time we buy livestock without researching it and it dies, or buy livestock, PERIOD for that matter, we should really internalize how we are just part of the big picture.....

- World news - msnbc.com

some day the only reefs might be man-made ones in public exhibits.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes..I saw that article today as well. That is why aquaculturing is so important. Instead of taking from nature, we need to try and take as much as we can from captively grown (for lack of a better term) stock.

The main issue with the ocean inhabitants today are people who ardently refuse to take protective measures. We have many laws in place about tossing plastics and garbage into the water, but, tossing all ypes of trash, including plastics, is still 100% legal in international waters...no country can regulate the areas beyond their own territorial waters. Plus, enforcement is a problem. MARPOL V regs, the ones that handle trash and plastics, rarely, if ever, make it to a judge. While I was in the Coast Guard I tried to prosecute two very obvious cases of plastics dumping and they were both dismissed becasue, as the hearing officer put it "there wasn't enough placed in the water to make the case worth the effort." Huh? Then why are the regulations in place?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

its no big surprise.

if you've ever watch the movie the matrix, agent smith refers to human beings as a plague, popultating an area until every last resource is consumed and then move on to the next. in a way its pretty much true, we ourselves are killing the planet we live on and are looking to use mars as a new home once we kill off earth
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

nice reference. sadly i don't think any action will be takin to prevent it. look at the Amazon rain forest it provides most the worlds oxygen and what are we doing just keep chopping it down
xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Unfortunately, divers like myself have seen the downturn, but for most people it is out of sight, out of mind.
I could never get enthused about collecting stuff from the wild, but I sure bought the stuff when someone else supplied it to the LFS. Now, I buy nothing but frags. If you cant grow a nice full specimen from a frag, you are just slowly killing a big one from the wild.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

rememeber we all started somewhere though, our frags came from the ocean as well as our fish, weather they were tank raised or not, it all started in the ocean, so without it our hobby wouldn't be here
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

How sad if there were no more reefs I'm getting scuba diving certified next week and have a trip planned in key largo at the end of July . I have heard that diving the reefs is amazing and can't wait to experience it . All we can do to protect the environment is be responsible and spread awareness . Sadly for most money talks more than nature and beauty .
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
YouTube - ‪agent smith : humans are a virus‬‏

i agree 100%.
we ( humans) are destroying the earth. this hobby kills the reefs as well. aquaculture or not, we make this hobby attractive and thus collectors rape the reefs in order to fill stores. the very best thing we can do if we love the reefs is not attract people to this hobby, or turn it into something of a "bird watching" thing, where we just visit reefs and snorkel or scuba them.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

does that mean you won't be setting up a new reef tank?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I personally agree 100% with Mr. X. While this hobby is incredibly addicting and does help to generate interest in the marine world and provide lots of intelligence on many species it is slowly destroying the earth. We only have one earth and it is our duty to protect it. As a replacement for the aesthetic aspect of our aquarium what is better than experiencing a reef in person. Learning to dive and getting all of the proper equipment costs only slightly more than a large reef tank especially considering that some spend upwards of ten thousand dollars on large tanks. We all should strive to do our part and take care of the world.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com