not new news, but still saddening.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_X

Aquarium Advice Addict
every time we buy livestock without researching it and it dies, or buy livestock, PERIOD for that matter, we should really internalize how we are just part of the big picture.....

- World news - msnbc.com

some day the only reefs might be man-made ones in public exhibits. :(

Yes..I saw that article today as well. That is why aquaculturing is so important. Instead of taking from nature, we need to try and take as much as we can from captively grown (for lack of a better term) stock.

The main issue with the ocean inhabitants today are people who ardently refuse to take protective measures. We have many laws in place about tossing plastics and garbage into the water, but, tossing all ypes of trash, including plastics, is still 100% legal in international waters...no country can regulate the areas beyond their own territorial waters. Plus, enforcement is a problem. MARPOL V regs, the ones that handle trash and plastics, rarely, if ever, make it to a judge. While I was in the Coast Guard I tried to prosecute two very obvious cases of plastics dumping and they were both dismissed becasue, as the hearing officer put it "there wasn't enough placed in the water to make the case worth the effort." Huh? Then why are the regulations in place?

its no big surprise.

if you've ever watch the movie the matrix, agent smith refers to human beings as a plague, popultating an area until every last resource is consumed and then move on to the next. in a way its pretty much true, we ourselves are killing the planet we live on and are looking to use mars as a new home once we kill off earth

nice reference. sadly i don't think any action will be takin to prevent it. look at the Amazon rain forest it provides most the worlds oxygen and what are we doing just keep chopping it down

Unfortunately, divers like myself have seen the downturn, but for most people it is out of sight, out of mind.
I could never get enthused about collecting stuff from the wild, but I sure bought the stuff when someone else supplied it to the LFS. Now, I buy nothing but frags. If you cant grow a nice full specimen from a frag, you are just slowly killing a big one from the wild.

rememeber we all started somewhere though, our frags came from the ocean as well as our fish, weather they were tank raised or not, it all started in the ocean, so without it our hobby wouldn't be here

How sad if there were no more reefs :( I'm getting scuba diving certified next week and have a trip planned in key largo at the end of July . I have heard that diving the reefs is amazing and can't wait to experience it . All we can do to protect the environment is be responsible and spread awareness . Sadly for most money talks more than nature and beauty .

YouTube - ‪agent smith : humans are a virus‬‏

i agree 100%.
we ( humans) are destroying the earth. this hobby kills the reefs as well. aquaculture or not, we make this hobby attractive and thus collectors rape the reefs in order to fill stores. the very best thing we can do if we love the reefs is not attract people to this hobby, or turn it into something of a "bird watching" thing, where we just visit reefs and snorkel or scuba them.

I personally agree 100% with Mr. X. While this hobby is incredibly addicting and does help to generate interest in the marine world and provide lots of intelligence on many species it is slowly destroying the earth. We only have one earth and it is our duty to protect it. As a replacement for the aesthetic aspect of our aquarium what is better than experiencing a reef in person. Learning to dive and getting all of the proper equipment costs only slightly more than a large reef tank especially considering that some spend upwards of ten thousand dollars on large tanks. We all should strive to do our part and take care of the world.

Lots of things worse than collecting is killing the reefs.. Clumsy divers themselves cause more damage than our hobby does to the reefs. As a divemaster you are always warning somebody away from kicking the reef or touching things that shouldn't be touched. But we should be aware that the coral did come from somewhere. Same with most of the fish. You don't keep giraffes in your backyard because you know you don't have the facility to keep them, or should know this... Same with some reef creatures. There are some things that are as common as sparrows and should pose little concern, but that big head of brain coral you bought may have been pried off a pretty reef somewhere. At least when buying cultured frags, the damage to the natural ecosystem is reduced. Anything that is grown in a big tank, like many of the available clown fish, or cultured frags on a piece of substrate should not make you feel guilty in the least. I think the point is to take responsibility for what you buy from the LFS, because your shopping habits control what gets collected and how. And use your reef to instruct others in the beauty we may be losing if we don't get serious about the environment. Point out how careful all the parameters must be for these creatures to multiply and how difficult it is to maintain that balance.

its no big surprise.

if you've ever watch the movie the matrix, agent smith refers to human beings as a plague, popultating an area until every last resource is consumed and then move on to the next. in a way its pretty much true, we ourselves are killing the planet we live on and are looking to use mars as a new home once we kill off earth

I've actually been around for some discussions where biologists ponder the idea of humans being actual parasites in every sense of the word.

Marconis said:
I've actually been around for some discussions where biologists ponder the idea of humans being actual parasites in every sense of the word.

Of course we are all parasites,anything that survives by using a resource of any kind from something else is a parasite.
The problem is global warming caused by our greed and disregard for our planet.It is always about the money,especially with our politicians .That why that won't do anything to try to stop or slow down the process.
We straightened out the Everglades so more land would be available to build on and look what happened.We have had to go change it back.We spend billions of dollars to keep a city in a bowl under sea level (NO)that should be spent on trying to help bring our planet back to healthier conditions.Our children and grandchildren are going to have to deal with terrible events that are just starting to manifest themselves .I get great enjoyment from my aquarium,I do try to only get tank raised livestock such as from ORA.
Remember one thing: "You don't screw with Mother Nature,you will always lose".Believe me we are losing.

Getting off soapbox now.

Lots of things worse than collecting is killing the reefs.. Clumsy divers themselves cause more damage than our hobby does to the reefs. As a divemaster you are always warning somebody away from kicking the reef or touching things that shouldn't be touched. But we should be aware that the coral did come from somewhere. Same with most of the fish. You don't keep giraffes in your backyard because you know you don't have the facility to keep them, or should know this... Same with some reef creatures. There are some things that are as common as sparrows and should pose little concern, but that big head of brain coral you bought may have been pried off a pretty reef somewhere. At least when buying cultured frags, the damage to the natural ecosystem is reduced. Anything that is grown in a big tank, like many of the available clown fish, or cultured frags on a piece of substrate should not make you feel guilty in the least. I think the point is to take responsibility for what you buy from the LFS, because your shopping habits control what gets collected and how. And use your reef to instruct others in the beauty we may be losing if we don't get serious about the environment. Point out how careful all the parameters must be for these creatures to multiply and how difficult it is to maintain that balance.

As a fellow diver +1
30098-albums1142-picture7907.gif

For sheer numbers of species the parasites outnumber the non-parasites in this world.
anything that survives by using a resource of any kind from something else is a parasite.
Unless it returns a resource to that thing, then it's a symbiote.

Ricksreef said:
Of course we are all parasites,anything that survives by using a resource of any kind from something else is a parasite.
The problem is global warming caused by our greed and disregard for our planet.It is always about the money,especially with our politicians .That why that won't do anything to try to stop or slow down the process.
We straightened out the Everglades so more land would be available to build on and look what happened.We have had to go change it back.We spend billions of dollars to keep a city in a bowl under sea level (NO)that should be spent on trying to help bring our planet back to healthier conditions.Our children and grandchildren are going to have to deal with terrible events that are just starting to manifest themselves .I get great enjoyment from my aquarium,I do try to only get tank raised livestock such as from ORA.
Remember one thing: "You don't screw with Mother Nature,you will always lose".Believe me we are losing.

Getting off soapbox now.

If that definition was true than every living organism would be a parasite since no life is completely self sufficient. Even plants require nutrients from soil, making them not self sufficient. So you would be implying that life in itself is parasitic, a plague on the earth. Id have to disagree with you. But I do agree that humans in particular are harming the earth at an alarming rate. If we dont do something soon, coral reefs will only exist in pictures and videos. That also goes with rainforests too for that matter. It's pretty sad when you hear that more species are predicted to go extinct in this century than have gone extinct for hundreds of thousands of years

When folks come to your home and remark what a wonderful reef tank you have, say "thank you, now can you imagine pouring a quart of motor oil in on it?" That is what is happening under the surface. The public at large is not as mad as they need to be at polluters. Polluters should need to worry about mob hangings. Heaven is underwater, unfortunately only a few get to really experience it.

RYANLAWRENCE said:
If that definition was true than every living organism would be a parasite since no life is completely self sufficient. Even plants require nutrients from soil, making them not self sufficient. So you would be implying that life in itself is parasitic, a plague on the earth. Id have to disagree with you. But I do agree that humans in particular are harming the earth at an alarming rate. If we dont do something soon, coral reefs will only exist in pictures and videos. That also goes with rainforests too for that matter. It's pretty sad when you hear that more species are predicted to go extinct in this century than have gone extinct for hundreds of thousands of years

Right,we are and every living thing depends on something else to survive.The key is we need to learn to use what we need without destroying it and the earth. How many times has the mpg improvement requirements for vehicles been delayed by congress by lobbyist's for the automakers and oil companies?Why do I have to pay through taxes to replenish beach sand and subsidize home insurance for homes built right on the water,when I know mother nature will come along eventually and damage or destroy them.
That money should be spent to reduce global warming.

We allow our leaders to relax and eliminate laws and rules that were meant to protect our oceans and wildlife.Example:Along the NC coast trawlers used to only be able to drag their nets when they were at least three miles out.Now they are allowed to drag them right along the beach.So if you wanted to fish after they went by,forget it.
It is always about the money.
The problem is how can we change that?

Based on yalls opinions I'd say the real question now is how do we change humanity's relationship with the world from parasitic to symbiotic? Or in terms reefers can relate to if we are clowns how can we protect our anemone ;)

spencelee10 said:
Based on yalls opinions I'd say the real question now is how do we change humanity's relationship with the world from parasitic to symbiotic? Or in terms reefers can relate to if we are clowns how can we protect our anemone ;)

Great Analogy.

Ricksreef said:
Right,we are and every living thing depends on something else to survive.The key is we need to learn to use what we need without destroying it and the earth. How many times has the mpg improvement requirements for vehicles been delayed by congress by lobbyist's for the automakers and oil companies?Why do I have to pay through taxes to replenish beach sand and subsidize home insurance for homes built right on the water,when I know mother nature will come along eventually and damage or destroy them.
That money should be spent to reduce global warming.

We allow our leaders to relax and eliminate laws and rules that were meant to protect our oceans and wildlife.Example:Along the NC coast trawlers used to only be able to drag their nets when they were at least three miles out.Now they are allowed to drag them right along the beach.So if you wanted to fish after they went by,forget it.
It is always about the money.
The problem is how can we change that?

There is only one way, vote, then hold the jerks accountable. As long as the filthy rich run the country, you can forget about anything environmental being done.

Back
Top Bottom