Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not real happy with overnight order,,,,

Well for those of you that dont know I lost all my fish so I am starting over. I set up 3 QT tanks and went to town. They were unable to ship half my order but I was looking forward to at least a few new items.. I was to receive: 1 tang, 1 mandarin, 2 clowns, anthias, bi-color chromis, & a royal gamma. 2 feathers and a purple gorgonian. I ordered from the Drs and by 3:00pm I still did not have my order.. I( I think they need to use UPS by 10am delivery) Anyway, When it did come the water was ice cold and after I did the 1 hour acclimation steps they gave me, a clown & by bi-color chromis where all but DOA. This morning I wake up to another clown dead.. They have been great and are replacing the fish but I feel so bad. What a waste. If they would have packaged it better, everyone would be happy and adjusting to there new home.. I have ordered from Aqua con & North Coast Marine and I have never had anything die from those orders..I guess its a good thing they didnt send the jaw fish & clam this round.. Anyway, had to vent...

Old 01-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the news. I don't think I would order anything live unless it was guaranteed by noon, just seems like a better idea to me.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
cj10488

I have never had any issues with ordering from Liveaquaria.com My Fedex stuff comes about 2:30pm for standard as I am in a Rural area.. Occasionally there is a dead fish in an order but not too often.. My orders have always been packed nicely.. My Blue Haddoni that they sent me is still alive and doing well to this day

HTH<
James
Old 01-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One thing to note is some places UPS can not guarintee 10am or even noon delivery because of being in a 'fringe' area. Usually places in these areas have 4pm delivery times reguarless if you have stuff shipped next day 10am or not. So dont blame liveaquraia or what ever company you got it from its more UPS or FedEX and their shipping policy to your given location.

Also note your in Utah and its not the warmest up there right now. I personally try not to order livestock once the average nighttime temp is below 50F.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good advise.. Thanks
Old 01-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

For one, id never order fish from an online site. They arent as hardy as corals. If i were you id just find a lfs with the fish you want and try to get a good deal on them. Especially pricey fish like mandarins, not a good idea to ship those fish around.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I read an article on this site that said "where do you think your LFS gets them" and it said it was a good idea.. I was also worried about the cold before I ordered so I called and was told it would not be a problem... Live & Learn I guess. Drys yes / lives no...
Old 01-01-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with reefo...They get to the LFS the same way. I would place more importance on packaging. Perhaps letting the online retailer know you are in an area where you might not see the delivery until 4pm so they can adjust the packing, heat packs or what not. after reading this, thats what I'm gonna do.

Just my $.02

Mike
Old 01-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Two differences between me and the LFS. The LFS sends someone to the airport to pick up an order when it's scheduled to land. I wait until the FEdEx guy gets to my stop on his route. The LFS quarantines and treats fish and I don't even see the weak ones until they have pulled through and recovered.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com