NOt ReeF ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok Guys Ive been doing research im finally gettin this um the tank is set up evrything is running smoothly for about a week or so the onli prob now is tha my tank is not reef ready does this mean i will not be able to install a sump if no then what can i do i need a means of filteration

A sump is not required, it just adds more water volume and live rock. Live rock in the main display will be your main source of filtration along with a protein skimmer which removes dissolved organic compounds from the water.

While not required, it is a very nice thing to have. You can still use a sump without a RR tank by using a HOB overflow. This is how my system is setup.

You can use a hang on overflow if you want a sump, or have the back drilled (in many cases). But you don't have to use a sump if you don't want to.

*edit* Ninja'ed... lol

Also, dont forget that you cant drill tempered glass otherwise it will shatter.. and then you end up with a broken tank and a broken wallet lol. If your going to drill holes in the back for the sump, then your aquarium can only be acrylic.

Something else that you can do that pretty much acts as a sump, besides the HOB overflow, is get a large filter, or two depending on how big your tank is, and then take out the bio-bags and fill the filter up with live rock. This will act as filtration and a sump all together. Also, it will add to the biological filtration that you will be getting from the live rock in your main display. This is the route im taking because i dont have money for a overflow and my tank is tempered glass so i cant drill it. :/

You can drill holes in a tank that is glass, just not tempered glass. It will say somewhere on the tank (usually on the bottom) if its tempered. They make glass tanks that aren't tempered. Just FYI. :)

Hang on back overflows are nice too though!

Yeah for some reason i thought so because i've seen my workshop teacher drill glass before i just wasnt sure if they made tanks out of glass like that. Oh well, then in that case, just make sure yours isnt tempered ;D Thanks for the info JOM20

you can get a hang on back refuge as well, lucky for me i had a extra hangon back 55 gallon filter, i filled it with live rock rubble where the carbon filter would normally be and got a small light to sit on top i just did it last weekend its kinda my experiment but still and idea

Yeah for some reason i thought so because i've seen my workshop teacher drill glass before i just wasnt sure if they made tanks out of glass like that. Oh well, then in that case, just make sure yours isnt tempered ;D Thanks for the info JOM20

I believe Perfecto tanks are made of all tempered glass (not positive about that though). However, AGA/Aqueon/Oceanic tanks have tempered glass only on the bottom. Our 50 AGA is drilled in the back.

Back
Top Bottom