Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
not sure

I swear this tank of mine is a lot of work. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it's looking so hot lately. I'm just thinking...my hubby is gone all week and he is putting together "his" tank. However, I am not sure how much it will be his since besides picking the fish and setting it up, he won't be very involved. He has made it clear he wants me to care for it. How much easier is a FOWLR than a full blown reef? I was so excited about it at first, but now reality is hitting me. I spend A LOT of time on my reef...I go to college and have two kids. Think it will overwhelm me or does it become 2nd nature? Anyone who has more than one tank please tell me how it is for you.

Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to fishyfriends
I have a FOWLR, a FO and a FW. I don't really think you spend much more time looking after two or three than you do one. But I do tend to go in phases where I'll spend more time and money on one and less attention on the others. I guess over time they all get attention, but thats just the way i am!

fishyfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't think it's that much harder to take care of two tanks. Maybe a little more time with water changes but, not a big deal really. I don't think it will overwhelm you.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If everything goes well in both tanks it shouldn't be that bad but if you happen to run into an alhae problem in one or two tanks then you will have some problems
Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
i think a fowlr is far easier to take care of than a reef. A lot more flexability and conditions can vary a bit without issues. Most people dose things in a reef that are not necessary in a fowlr. JMO.

JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
"We" had two 90g tanks. My reef and "his" aggressive fo tank. As you said it was really just all mine and all my work. If something needed to be built(stand, canopy etc) he was more than happy to help with that. However feeding, cleaning, testing, water changes etc were up to me. It really isn't too much more work, but it is work. It also takes financially away from the reef. We also had alot more problems with fish deaths for some reason and never were able to figure that out. We finally decided after losing several very expensive fish to ??? to sell the fo. Now we have a much fuller reef and we setup a small 20g in the kids room. The point isn't whether it's that much more work, the point is that it IS some more work and expense, and it's all falling on you and you seem to have a full plate as it is. If he's gone all week and you are there with kids, school and the everyday job of making a house run, you should not feel selfish in saying "NO. This is too much. Maybe when I get out of school or when you can be home more often to help with the tank and enjoy it". Sooner or later, one or the other of the tanks or your school or your kids, are going to start suffering from inattention. When you spread yourself too thin everyone suffers especially you.. This is my opinion and of course, as always, take it or leave it.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com