Not sure what is on my rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulr

Aquarium Advice Activist
So took a close look today and seems like there were a few worm type objects on my rock. They were white/clear and 1-2 MM long. Is this some parasite or worm?

A yellow wrasse will also eat bristle worms
But I must ask why would you want to get rid of such a amazing scavenger ?
As long as they are not too big they will not likely kill anything as long as there is a food source for them .
I have quite a few in my tank and with a 7 year old daughter that likes to feed fish they have Left over food not consumed by fish to clean up .
IMO they are a perfect addition to a CUC

If small ok. They just look unattractive. They are super small. Not sure what the growth rate is?

If small ok. They just look unattractive. They are super small. Not sure what the growth rate is?

I think it's like anything else it depends on how many and how much they have to eat .
They have traps available at the Lfs
If you want to get rid of them

I don't think bristle worm. I have thousands of worms, sand bed, rocks, super thin like thread and white/ clear. They are good, they eat particles.

I don't think bristle worm. I have thousands of worms, sand bed, rocks, super thin like thread and white/ clear. They are good, they eat particles.

image-2343644982.jpg

I've attached a picture of a bristle worm from when I first bought my rocks and set up my tank last winter .
They are pretty creepy looking and apparently if handled they can cut you pretty good .
I don't know for sure though

They don't cut you, the spines come off in your skin. I have been caught out often. No dramas

The original question said the worms are 'on' the rock. I assume attached. I have these worms that have a bit of a 'pipe' that they extend and retract from. They are like mobile hair that reaches to fetch particles to feed on.

I think I have the same thing on my live rock. White and stringy like thread. They stretch out on the rock and sand like tentacles searching for food. Not bristleworms and seem harmless. I'm curious as to what they are too.

Back
Top Bottom