Not sure what to do with my sand polyups.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The multicolored sand polyups that I got a month ago don't seen to be doign very well. They are alive but jsut not looking great.

I can't figure out if it is a flow issue or a lighting issue. My water parameters are ok and my bubble coral and some mushrooms are going great.

I have the sand polyups located higher up in my tank and they are sort of in the flow from the skimmer which is a HOB. I have a 10 gallon with a 96W powerquad on it. So I am not sure if they are gettign too much light and therfore not fully coming out or extending themselves- or maybe they are in too high of a flow area and that is the reason they are not lookign so great.

Some of them stay hidden and don't even open up all that often. Others that are open are not really extended or jsut don't look great. Yet there are others that look fine.

Strange thing is that I had a few of these polyups break away from the main cluster. They ended up stuck between a rock and the sand sort of under the bubble coral. Not directly under it but in a shady area near to it. These 2 polyups are doign great. I think they are in both a lowe flow and lower light area so they are always fully extended and looking great. they ae actually already multiplying.

What do you guys think I shoudl do with the other polyups? Move them??? Or move flow soemhow? Or leave them be?

I think that they might be getting too much light. If I understand your post the lighting is 9.6 watts per gallon which is high. Dont know if that`s the reason but it`s a possibility. I would lower them in the tank. JMO

Yeah I was thinkign that too. But I really love where they are cause they jsut fit there. Plus at the mottom there is nto much room becasue the bubble coral is gettign big and takes up on side while the mushrrom rock is large and takes up the otehr side. Maybe I can break the mushroom rock up and move each half to other locations.

Can I tank the mushrorom rock wit hteh shrooms on it out of the water and use a hammer to break it in half and then put it back in the tank or do I have to somehow di it under water????

I did place a half glass top on the tank to help in cuttign the lighing down.

Back
Top Bottom