Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now I'm Screwed!!!

I was feeding my fish tonight and smelled something buring. I didnt pay too much attention to it, but i new that something wasnt right. As I fed Bruce a piece of shrimp, I heard some sizzling noise comming from my T8s. Then came the smoke from the side of the light strip. Thats it. The balast is gone. There are burn marks on the clips. The whole strip is toast. Thats half my wattage for this tank, GONE! Even if i had the money, Its sunday...if i order anything tonight, it wont get processed till tomorow so i wont get it till the end of the week. WTF is gonna happen next!?!?!?

:censor:

Old 01-04-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I would suspect, while not happy, your inverts will survive just fine for 5 days on 1/2 the wattage. I would try to figure out why the ballast went, if it did

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I need to crack open the strip to find out for sure, but im suspecting Salt Creep to be the culprit.

Just as a followup, I just upgraded to MH . I bought a 350watt MH Retro Kit to replace the strip i lost and the PCs that are still on the tank. I shoutl have it in a few days. I hope that my corals survive with half the light. Its enough to make me drink
Old 01-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Well, I'll sit down and have one with ya seein how it's been a rough day and all burp anyho just wanted to say i'm sorry your light burned up but atleast ya get a cool new lighting setup. cheers,
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
350 watt??? where did you buy and how much did you pay? Any worrys about aclimation from T5's to MH's?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernzpat
350 watt??? where did you buy and how much did you pay? Any worrys about aclimation from T5's to MH's?
Friend of mine turned me on to an ebay auction. There are still some left, they had like 20 of them. Cost was $200.00 with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3212

Yeah... I definately have concernes about the change in lighting, but seeing as i have to do something to replace the strip that burned out, im just gonna have to go for it and hope i do no more than piss them off.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #7
cj10488

When acclimating your corals/fish to the new lighting take a few sheets of window screen and place it over the tank.. I will shield out a majority of the lighting.. Every few days or so remove a sheet.. Wathc the corals to see how they respond.. You should notice no change.. If you do then place the screen back on for a few more days.. IMO that would be the best way to acclimate everything over to the new lighting..

HTH<
James
Old 01-05-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I could be wrong, but isn't that kinda expensive for a dual 250 seeing as it's a magnetic ballast? Marindepot has its magnetic duals listed for $158 ... only the HQI go above $200 at about $225. If it's not a dual unit, then it's really kinda high. Unless it's the triple light ballast...because the auction that link sent me to is a 175w ...so I dunno where you went after that. Just curious.

[edit] Ahh, I get it. By 350w you were adding up the 2x175. I'm a quick one, I tell ya. You can get a normal 175w magnetic from md for $131 Again, just curious. [/edit]
Old 01-05-2004, 12:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its a dual 175 watt retro kit. There are 2 balasts in that auction. Is that high for 2?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cracked it open tonight to see what was going on, it turns out i was right. Salt creep caused the endcaps to arc and burn. So the ballast is still good. If i replace the endcaps and trim back the burned wiring (or replace it) I will have a 100 watt stip in storage in case of an emergency.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com