Now that I have some creatures in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been leaving the lights on all day, and today my temp crept up to about 81. I cant leave the hood open because of my cats, so what do I do about the heat? I don't want to cook my critters. I got a banded coral shrimp, and a cowry snail yesterday. :D pics are here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=51398

I noticed one of the heaters had moisture inside the glass so I pulled it out. It was on pretty much all the time from what I could see. If the lights heat the water to 80/81 during the day, can I just set the other heater to that temp so it will come on at night? Or is that too hot?

Yes you sure could, but to be sure you need to see if the lights are actually heating the water that much.

my lights are pc lights that sit right on top of my aquarium and they heat the water up a great deal.. I installed an eggcrate and a fan and now the temp is stabilized

This is a little embarrassing, but I am not sure what eggcrate is. When people say eggcrate, I think of the paper type container you get your eggs in at the supermarket. I know this isn't right, so what is it? :oops:

It's the plastic grating they use for florescent light fixtures. You'd buy it at HD in the lighting department. :wink:

ahhh! that stuff you have to push up and wiggle out of the ceiling to change the lightbulbs? That will help with the heat? And the plastic doesn't get all warpy ( that is a word :D )

Oh, not what I thought. Ok, so what about splashing water and or condensation on the light fixtures.

You'll get salt creep but it allows for better gas exchange and help with heat issues. I keep an open top tank so I'm used to the "creep". Cleans up easy with a damp rag. Just keep the water level high enough so there is no splashing.

Back
Top Bottom