Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i had 3 x 250 watters plus a 400, and a 240 watt t5 unit as well. that's almost 1400 watts. 200 watts made the difference?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

no but my point was your was open and higher above his was within a smaller canopy

Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i dunno. i don't recall his tank, but my point was that it didn't cost me that much to run. we'll see what the new 265 ends up costing me (did i tell you i got a brand new 265 for 350?).
Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

no you didn't, i thought you were considerign a 360g plywood build.

i would like a 265 but i don't liek the 30" of height they have. i'd like to use T5s over 400watt MH so i'd need 80watt icecap ballasts
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I had 1200 watts of MH in a open topped hood hung 12" above the water. In the summer we have an average house temperature of 77deg (I am too cheap to run the airconditioner colder). My water temperature was almost always 83 deg or better even with fans. Worse, it would go down 4-5 degrees at night. My big Iwaki pumps add a degree on their own. As I wanted a stable temperature of 78 degree, I had to chill 5 degrees or more of the water and that costs money. My experience was the MH were like the old space heaters with the big quartz light bulb in the front. MH did grow coral splendidly, but the rest of the overhead was not suitable for me. I would rather limit my coral collection to those specimens that thrive under LED rather than have a coral garden I can't afford to maintain.

As a diver of many years, I am very sad to see the destruction of the reefs as well. But I can use my memory and photographs of reefs of the past to construct what I hope is a more natural reef suitable for fish and coral. I would rather have a few large spectacular corals I grew from frags, rather than the variety we see in these display tanks, where constant pruning is needed...but that's just me. Maybe too much work for my inherent laziness as well. My buddy says "that's why they make wall paper in every color of the rainbow."
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

isn't it said that LEDs are supposed to put out the most PAR? i'd think you can house hte same corals with half the wattage
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Probably even more efficient than that, I would estimate 3:1.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com