Now what fish to get.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustybrannum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sherman, texas-college in arlington,tx near Dall
I have 180 gal, 40 gal sump, 30 gal fuge:

Purple tang
2-Tomato clowns
lawnmower blenny
japanese swallowtail(female)
Rock Beauty angel

cleaner shrimps
piston shrimps
snails assorted
blue legged hermits

I have had all of these since september 9, the last time i added anything, any suggestions on what i could add to this group or anything that i definitely not add....

Did you mean Pistal shrimp? If not i have never herd of a piston shrimp.(might need to do some recherch myself) :oops:

first-timer89 said:
Did you mean Pistal shrimp?
Haven't heard of those either. :wink: Mabye we're talking about pistol shrimp :?:

Cheers
Steve

dustybrannum said:
I have 180 gal, 40 gal sump, 30 gal fuge:

Purple tang
2-Tomato clowns
lawnmower blenny
japanese swallowtail(female)
Rock Beauty angel

cleaner shrimps
piston shrimps
snails assorted
blue legged hermits
I think the field is still quite wide open considering your tank size but what to add would really depend on the type of tank you have/want: FO, FOWLR or reef.

Each will come with different variations of what would be comfortabley housed together. Many fish species eat sessile and mobile invertebrates so that should be your first consideration.

Cheers
Steve

The Coral Beauty you already have may end up being a risk with soft corals but it's a 50/50 thing with most small angels. The swallowtail shouldn't be a concern. You'll have to play that by ear when the time comes.

As far as the rest, you're fine. Anything you may add should be with "reef friendly/safe" being the consideration.

With that in mind check out the <<compatability chart>> and see what strikes your fancy. It much easier to suggest what not to add as you know your likes and dislikes. Post a wish list and wait for opinions.

Cheers
Steve

5-7 blue gree chromis for schooling fish... they are cool cheap little fish. How much LR.... A fire fish or 2 added at the same time would be nice.
Purple pseudochromis are nice bright fish.
How about a Naso Tang!!! Very nice fish.
Stay away from and Damsels they can get nasty.
Anthis are nice colorful fish also.

It is a rock beauty (yellow and deep purple).

I like:
Copperband Butterfly
Bannerfish (if this type probably 3 so they may school)
Saddled Butterfly
Flame Angelfish
Wrasse of some kind
Firefish of some kind
Mandarin ( i have pods running around everywhere)
Hippo Tang

Any ideas on starter coral or an anemone(i know you are supposed to wait a year)

You could kiss you coral goodbye with that one. Big Angels are a definate risk with corals.
If you do the Heni's, make sure it is the Heniochus diphreutes, they are the safer heni. It is tough to tell them apart though. The Heniochus diphreutes has a smaller mouth and more rounded breast area. look in my gallery thats the type I have, they don't even pick at the LR.
Wrasse of some kind (good with coral, the big ones are a risk with inverts)
Firefish of some kind (fine)
Mandarin ( i have pods running around everywhere) (tough choice, good luck)
Hippo Tang (fine)

dustybrannum said:
Sorry, I goofed but I definately agree with Quarryshark, Holacanthus tricolor is definately a bad choice for anything other than FO or FOWLR.

As far as the other fish, check at the top of the compatibility chart I linked to. There is a column that helps with reef safe fish species. Try to stick with the "Y" only choices. There are a few other species that are completely coral safe but not mobile invert safe and vise versa so the ones labeled "C" may still be an option, just not many.

Any ideas on starter coral or an anemone(i know you are supposed to wait a year)
You don't need to wait a year on most corals species but I would wait on the anemone. A very loose guideline would be soft corals 2-4 months, LPS corals 4-8 months and SPS corals 8-12 months. It all really depends on the stability of the tank, the tank set ups ability to properly provide for certain species and your understanding or their care.

A good place to start is usually leather corals, shrooms and zoanthuds. Most are fairly hardy and forgiving of small mistakes. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Well my tests like NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4 are all 0 <-- have never been any higher by my salifert test kits
pH 8.3
Ca is low at 335, gonna switch to Oceanic Salt instead of IO
alk is low also around 2.3
i do know that the alk and Ca are proportional so i was not surprised both were low.

i guess i should have read more about the rock beauty :( oh well perhaps i can trade it in for something else

guess i should have read more about the rock beauty oh well perhaps i can trade it in for something else
I agree, I have seen them diving many times in Cozumel, picking away at the reef.
Great looking fish though.

dustybrannum said:
Ca is low at 335, gonna switch to Oceanic Salt instead of IO
alk is low also around 2.3
i do know that the alk and Ca are proportional so i was not surprised both were low.
Getting to know the chemistry end of things would definately be a plus. As far as your current levels, only the Ca is low the alk is not really that bad. As long as the levels are balanced, try to stick with NSW values.

Alk 1.5 - 3 mEq/l
Ca 380 - 420 ppm

There is no benefit to keeping them above those levels but keeping on the higher side of NSW is most times a good idea in a scleratinian dominated tank. With softies only for the time being a good balanced salt mix is your best bet. Oceanic is not what I would call one of them though. Tropic Marine or Kent would be better recommendations.

Cheers
Steve

I think I am looking at getting 5 or 7 green chromis to school.
1-Blue,regal,hippo tang-Paracanthurus hepatus
3-Bannerfish-Heniochus acuminatus
1-Either Firefish or Purple Firefish or Helfrichi Firefish
1-Hi Fin Red Banded Goby
1-Flame Angel
1-Coral Beauty

I know the angels are not reef compatible but i may put all my corals i want to buy in my refuge first to see if i can get them to live then a couple years from now add them to my main tank. Also these are possiblities not definites. All suggestions will be very helpful.

Sailfin Tangs are my favorites. I could watch mine forever, I just wish I had a bigger tank that I don't have to trade him in when he is bigger.

Dusty....

Sherman and arlington? Thats right down the road from me! I'm in Keller right out side Fort Worth!

Current members:
1-purple tang
1-lawnmower blenny
2-tomato clowns
1-rock beauty angel

Ok here are my next additions:
7-green chromis
1-royal gramma
1-purple firefish

Then 50-75lbs more live coral rock from liverocks.com

yes SquishyFish my tank is in sherman. i work and go to school in arlington

Back