Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Npx biopellets.

I just started pellets in a tlf 150 and everything seems to be taking it ok except for my Fiji leather. It was doing great until I started this and am wondering if this is common or maybe even a coincidence. I didn't want to run the reactor but due to constantly fighting brown hair/diatoms lately I gave in and fired it up. I know the problem is my ro water but I can't keep up to replacing filters on it. It is an aquatic life and I only get a couple hundred gallons before the tds is right up to around 100. It has never worked good and I am on my 3rd membrane and di cartridge in a year. I want to upgrade to a spectra pure but need a bit of cash first. Anyway. My leather is not fully expanding and very few polyps coming out. I changed the flow pattern in my tank because my torch was getting too much. The leather still gets pretty direct flow but coming at it a little differently. Could it just be annoyed for a few days. Been two now and it's one of my favorites. Should I shut down the pellets??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Pellets caused me a world of problems, cyano breakout for one. I now dose vinegar mixed with kalkwasser and that has been a good carbon source. The leathers can be real picky about flow. Mine likes very little.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

My leather seems to like direct flow. Was doing good until I fired up the biopellets. I think I may take them offline. My fan worm is no longer coming out now either. Purchased new filters for the ro system. Will have to figure something out. Operating without a sump is proving to be a challenge I believe.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My leather is back to normal and my tube worm is back out. Although he now has a new and very small crown I guess he is at least alive. Can u give me some advice on vinegar and kalkwasser. 90 gallon tank. Softies and lps. No sps. Led lighting.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It takes more vinegar to add the same amount of carbon vodka dosing adds.

Here is the chemistry, just start super slowly.

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...alkwasser.html
Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll have a read after work. I don't mind using more vinegar. Nobody will steal vinegar. Seems my vodka used to disappear pretty shortly after it arrived .......lol

Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

LOL, vinegar is cheaper!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Pellets caused me a world of problems, cyano breakout for one. I now dose vinegar mixed with kalkwasser and that has been a good carbon source. The leathers can be real picky about flow. Mine likes very little.
Hey Greg I never thought about it but are you adding the vineger along with the kalkwaser to keep the ph up. I stop using the vineger because I thought it was lowering the ph. I stopped using vodka because it was a little more expensive but it didn't harm the ph and I think it worked better
Old 04-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I had a problem with pellets and vodka, it grew Cyano. The chemistry of adding vinegar to kalkwasser is interesting because it puts the calcium thru a process where it is more effective for coral uptake. It also helps counter the effect of ph when added to the tank. The article on it explains it much better. But it looks to me that it is a great way to not only improve kalkwasser but to also use the acetate in the vinegar to be a carbon source that isn't suppose to grow Cyano. We will see in six months.

Tags
bio, pellet, pellets

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com