Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I am from Missouri, show me. Unfortunately, for this article, I have a minor in lasers and their construction, all types. A 1 watt pointer is lucky to bust a baloon out of the water and the balloon has to be the right absorptive color. No matter the laser frequency. I experimented with this a lot and even 1" of saltwater, not to mention the tank walls themselves will prevent a laser from doing this until you reach levels that are almost sufficient to vaporize the glass or acylics walls themselves, and there I was pushing 100 watts at UV frequencies. My biggest hand made pointer is 4watts at 454nm. It will slowly burn a beer bottle in half, but is totally ineffective in the water. Yes, there are organizms that are surprised by the light and hide, but burning one is out of the question. I started by trying to boil the insides of Vallarta (green bubble algae) thinking I could cook the spores before they exploded.
I tried this out of the water first and had sucess with red lasers in the 5 watt range, but again, within the tank and any interfering seawater, no effect.
Well, this video would seem to indicate otherwise:
Aiptasia Laser Kill - YouTube

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I can show you YouTube videos of UFOs landing... Don't believe everything you see...read.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I can show you YouTube videos of UFOs landing... Don't believe everything you see...read.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well for any that are interested, here's the reefcentral thread on it. If nothing else it makes for an interesting read.

http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/s....php?t=2090418
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I haven't given up on it. It is a dangerous way to clear pests as you can easily blind any fish or shrimp the laser hits, even for an instant. I wear protective laser goggles whenever experimenting with anything that emits laser radiation.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I haven't given up on it. It is a dangerous way to clear pests as you can easily blind any fish or shrimp the laser hits, even for an instant. I wear protective laser goggles whenever experimenting with anything that emits laser radiation.
To me, it just seems like its complicating a process that can be dealt with much quicker and in a safer manner.

Do I think its pretty cool? Absolutely.

Would I watch someone do it all day long? You know I would.

Can I get the same result faster and without the possibility of blinding me and my fish? Yes.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10

To me, it just seems like its complicating a process that can be dealt with much quicker and in a safer manner.

Do I think its pretty cool? Absolutely.

Would I watch someone do it all day long? You know I would.

Can I get the same result faster and without the possibility of blinding me and my fish? Yes.
Absolutely right. It is an interesting experiment. I started working on it once I perfected long range fly extermination. That is extremely gratifying watching a big black house fly explode in flames. Leaves scorch marks on the walls though...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Absolutely right. It is an interesting experiment. I started working on it once I perfected long range fly extermination. That is extremely gratifying watching a big black house fly explode in flames. Leaves scorch marks on the walls though...
Hahaha now that I could get into. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a 55g get infested a couple years ago. Probably at least 50 visible ones. 3 peppermint shrimp knocked them out in like a week. They truned out to be some of my favorite shrimp too. They would swim out in open water during feeding, and come sit on my finger tip when I put my finger in the water. And greg where r u in Missouri? I really like your posts. I'm from Fenton, just south of St. Louis.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner
I had a 55g get infested a couple years ago. Probably at least 50 visible ones. 3 peppermint shrimp knocked them out in like a week. They truned out to be some of my favorite shrimp too. They would swim out in open water during feeding, and come sit on my finger tip when I put my finger in the water. And greg where r u in Missouri? I really like your posts. I'm from Fenton, just south of St. Louis.
I am in Columbia, not far away. I like P. shrimp as well. Give me a shout out if you come thru town.

Tags
aiptasia, aiptasia control, branch, control, nudibranch

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com