nuisance algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been having an algae problem of late. Here is a question.

An algae bloom (hair algae and Cyano red mat) must need nutrients to grow. Wouldn't it make sense that at some point the nutrients would not be enough and the algae would die back?

All of my parameters are good, ammonia 0, PH 8.2 Phosphate 0, slight amounts of Nitrite and Nitrate.

I have been doing weekly 20% changes and slowly bringing my salinity from 1.024 to 1.022 also my temp used to be 82 and am slowly ( about 4 weeks) bringing it down to 76.

Any input would be great.

How about some stats on your tank setup.
How long has the tank been set up?
If it's new this could just be part of the normal cycling process.
slight amounts of Nitrite
indicates that the tank has not completely cycled yet or there is another problem somewhere. What is slight?
How big is the tank?
What is filtration? wet/dry? LR and LS? how much of each?
What is your water flow like? Are you using any powerheads?

Why are you dropping the salinity and temp?

The tank has been set up for 15 months. Its a 55 with a 15 gl sump. Slight is hardly detectable Nitrate less than 5 mg/l nitrite less than .3 mg/l.

Ive read elsewhere that salinity higher than 1.025 can lead to exsessive algae growth and I dont have a refractometer and think my tester might be a little inaccurate so its a Just in case measure.

60 lbs of live rock and 4-6" live sand in display tank 220 watts PC lighting. South down in refugium with macro algae. Mag9.5 return pump froms sump to display three power heads in tank on a wavemaker.

Ive learned recently that corals like it cooler than 80 degrees.

Are you using RO water for top off and changes?
If not, have you tested for phosphates?
Can you have SG tested by someone with a refractometer?
salinity higher than 1.025 can lead to exsessive algae growth
Never heard this before. Where did you read it?

Also 60# of LR is a bit light for a 55. Recommended is 1½-2 pounds gross gallon of volume (82-110 pounds of LR). I'm guessing that the fuge with the macro is helping to keep the parameter in check.

I'm no expert in these areas so hopefully some of the advisors will chime in.

I saw your other post that explains your SG and temp changes. I'm interested in hearing back in 6 months on well everything is doing and if you notice increased growth.

When I first started this hobby I was never intending on puting live rock in. Two weeks later (before any fish ) I started collecting live rock and was told that 1 lb per gallon should be good. Since then I have learned more and think more rock would be better for both filtration and looks.

Ill get more rock with in the next several months. Ill own a refractometer sooner than that.

Ill get more rock with in the next several months. Ill own a refractometer sooner than that.
:wink:

The cyno may be an area with low flow so it has a chance to build up there. I believe these things come and go depending on tank conditions. I just noticed a slight brown algae patch of of sand where the water flow just changed :oops:

I have been experimenting with different placement of my power heads and am working on a spray bar today that will deliver all across the back of the tank with a Mag 9.5.

I had the same problem with algae and have hopefully discovered the problem. I was told that if you PC lights start to age they can create the algae problems. I took my PC lights off and put the flourescents that came with the tank back on. The algae went away almost immediately. I should be receiving new bulbs via UPS today sometime so hopefully this will solve my problem.

Got my refractometer salinity is at 1.025 I will be lowering it to 1.023 over time.

The algae really started when I got my new pc ligh bulbs. I bet if I went back to the flourescents tha algae would receed but that would not be healthy for the coral.

Wally, I think the new bulbs have done the trick. Installed them yesterday and no algae growth yet. With the old bulbs I would have seen significant algae growth only a few hours after cleaning the tank and live rock. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but this looks like it's going to solve the problem. I don't think you'll see any problems with salinity at 1.025. Good Luck!

Interesting Kathy, How old were your lights? My algae problem started when I installed the new lights. They are now 4 months old. I have been doing weekly water changes and the algae is starteg to disapear :)

I'm guessing my lights were about 7 months old when the algae started becoming a serious problem. I've had the new bulbs in almost a week. I am seeing a little algae growth but it's exactly where I feed at so I think thats telling me that I'm over feeding.

Back
Top Bottom