O. Clown Question... Long Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
A little back ground first… Oct 15th I purchased two O. Clowns about 1.25” long each. I acclimated them to the QT (Bare Bottom 30gal w/ HOB filter assorted pvc fittings for hiding places) by floating the bag for ½ hour and then pouring ½ a shot glass into the bag every 10 minutes until the sg was the same as the tank. Total acclimation time about 4 hours. During the acclimation one of the clowns harassed the other causing some torn fins. After acclimation I netted the fish out and introduced them to the QT. The clown with the damaged fins condition declined and died 3 days later. Oct 30th I purchased another clown and acclimated it in the same manner. The original surviving clown harassed this one as well, keeping it in the upper portions of the tank, but didn’t cause any visible damage. About two weeks ago the harassed clown stopped eating and its condition started to decline. Sadly, it died last night. The original clown is now almost 2” and I am planning on putting it into the main tank (75gal w/ 140#’s Live Rock) this weekend. I want to get another clown so that they may pair up but don’t know the best way to go about doing it. I am assuming that the clown that I have has become a female. I am thinking about getting 3 more O. Clowns and introducing them to the QT all at once. And after the qt period is over, take the dominant one (from that group) back to the LFS. Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

It may work, but another idea.
I know you are ready to put this clown in, but you could take her back to the LFS and start over with another pair. Any new clowns introduced to her now, may meet the same fate. Some fish (like humans) and just mean.
Maybe a crazy idea, just trying to give you some options.

I hadn't considered trading her in. It is another option. But I am kind of attached to her. Also, I would like to get at least one fish into the main. I set the 75 up late last spring and put the live rock in it early in august. I could always net her out when the others finish QT and take her back then. :)

Where the two harrassed clowns smaller than the bully? Just wonderin' if a larger addition would solve this.

Otherwise, I like Quarryshark's suggestion.

But I am kind of attached to her. Also, I would like to get at least one fish into the main.
I figured that, thats why I called it a crazy idea, but it is one that could work. If I was in your shoes, I would hesitate to do this as well. We set up our tanks for fish, not rocks and water...lol
Maybe some else will have a better idea.

austinsdad wrote
Where the two harrassed clowns smaller than the bully? Just wonderin' if a larger addition would solve this.
They were all about 1.25" long when they were introduced. The bully may have been a little larger I'm just not sure. I don't think that introducing a larger one at this point will help because I think that the one I have has probably made the transition to female.

If they are about the same size then they are more likely to fight.

You could either buy one more that is much larger than your existing... OR if you are not in a hurry, keep you remaining one until "she" becomes larger (2 or 2-1/2") and then put in a smaller one.

go over to reefcentral and browse the clown forum. Lots of good info there.

HTH and sorry about your loss.

If you don't want to trade in your female you can buy a juvenile captive bred ocellaris. Buying them CB juvenile will ensure you that it has not gone thru a sex change.

Clown can take less than a month to complete the sex change into a female if no other clowns are present.

Back
Top Bottom