occelaris or percula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhaynes01

Aquarium Advice Freak
occelaris or percula, which one should i get which one is hardier and which one is genarllycheaper (TR of course)

of either one can i put two in my 15 gallon

I believe percs tend to be a little more expensive and slightly less hardy than the falsies. Having said that, I got a screaming deal on a pair of percs (pair for <$20) and put them into a freshly cycled system and they are doing very well. Bright colors, very active, and have grown visibly in the last 3 weeks.

WOW! <$20 for a PAIR!!! I'm so jealous! Did you find them at your LFS? or buy online??? The ones at my LFS are $25 EACH!!!

wow, $20 for a pair is a good deal. LFS in my area usualy cary TR False Percs for $15-$20 each

Had a new Petco open up in town with a section of saltwater. It's the fisrt pet chain store in the area. Part of their grand opening sales were tank raised percs for $9 each. I was there early on got my pick : ) I believe they're around $20+ now, definately no complaints. I normally wouldn't advocate petco sales, but they guy they have in charge of their fish has been in the hobby for about a decade, no highschool kids with a 2 page brochure telling people what to buy or how to keep it.

A fringe benefit is the prices at the dedicated fish stores has dropped dramatically on the breeds that petco is selling. For example, lfs has a beaut of a royal gramma I've been wanting to buy but was priced at close to $50. He's got great markings and vivid colors. Petco is selling grammas for $25, but not as pretty. Last time I was in lfs he was $25. He'll probably come home with me next payday : ) And I'll be doing some lighting upgrades at the same time, so no fish for a while, it's time for some simple corals : )

WOW....Royal Grammas for 25 and 50 bucks?!?!?!?! . .Where do you live? I'm in South Florida and I've never even seen a Royal Gramma cost anywhere near 20 bucks. I don't think I've even seen them at 15 bucks. Maybe that's the trade off to make up for this unforgiving, torturous, humid heat down here. :)

my local Petco has good prices on fish as well so it is hard to resist the temptation. Be careful though, all of the Petcos I have been at advertise that they have Percs but they really are occelaris being sold as pers. Dobble check your fish to make sure got what they said you were getting. There are noticable differences between the two. Even so, two occelaris clowns for $20 is still a good deal.

also i have seen the so called true percula and right underneath it in little letters it says "SCientific name: amphirion occelaris"

mhaynes01 said:
also i have seen the so called true percula and right underneath it in little letters it says "SCientific name: amphirion occelaris"
Typical :roll:

I live in Wyoming, so having SW at all is amazing. Not exactly a lot of competition between stores if you know what I mean. Don't want to even think about what corals are going to cost. ($60 for a small bunch of 'shrooms for christs sake). Anyway I *think* they're true percs. Definate black banding outside the white stripes. Either way, they're happy little guys : )

From the looks of their tanks, they just let them feast on their dead bretheran. I look elsewhere for my actual fish since they opened. Clowns are doing well tho'. Unfortunately they've started carrying anemones, poor little bleached out things.

Back
Top Bottom