Ocean rock safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibb72

Aquarium Advice Regular
A friend of mine brought back rocks from the ocean when they were in Mexico is there a way I can clean them and put them in my tank without hurting anything? Thanks

I believe its illegal to do this, correct me if im wrong. Also, I wouldn't put them in my tank, who knows whats in them and died in there and what contaminants have soaked so far into the rock and could potentially leach out.

I mean im sure its possible to clean but who knows.

They are only 3 small rocks, just thought it would be cool to have

I agree with Matty, the water closest to shore (where these were most likely collected) is by far the most polluted, and I wouldn't want any of that leeching into a closed system.

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to take rock from the ocean in most places might sound stupid but it's true I read up in Australian laws and we can get fined thousands for it

Well Australia is different than Mexico in my opinion.
Oh well...unless it's like the liverock from Fiji it's not worthy the risk.

I would be concerned about oil in that big oil spill in the gulf maybe contaminating it.

Without proper paperwork and permissions, it is quite illegal to bring anything that contains living organisms into the country. That said, I would all but nuke it before letting it anywhere near my tank.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah oil seepage would be a concern, it probably isn't that leagal but you didn't do it lol and we promise to be quiet for right price..

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i would suggest putting them into the sump or even better a quarantine tank before adding them into your tank. You have no idea what is actually living inside the rock nor what contaminants are in it.

I wouldn't add them and use them as a conversation piece. Besides pollutants that is probably filling them, but the die off alone is enough to cause short term issues in a system requiring them to be cycled in a separate container. I'd thank your friend and not put them in your tank.

And bribe us to be quiet don't forget that.... Lol

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom