Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ocean water

OK, I've been using real ocean water in my tank since day 1. I know some people will think I'm crazy, but i live in a remote(ish) area on the bc coast of Canada (on an island to boot ). I get my water either during a flood tide or when I'm out fishing in my boat to eliminate the risk of shore pollution. This area has the lowest salinity ocean water in the world at about 31ppm and I have to add salt to get it higher for my fish accustomed to saltier water.

Just for fun I am posting the water measurements I took today on my water gathered 3 days ago (pH measured at collection)

Salinity ( corrected for temp) 1.023
pH. 7.9
Amm, trIte, trAte. All 0
KH. 7 dKH or 107ppm (surprisingly low )
Ca. 280 (also surprisingly low)
Phosphates. 0.1ppm

Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may be in the one type of location where it is actually feasible. It's good that you know the risks and are taking extra steps to reduce them. Odd question- are you concerned about the tsunami debris / effects? Or is that not projected as far South as you are?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
OK, I've been using real ocean water in my tank since day 1. I know some people will think I'm crazy, but i live in a remote(ish) area on the bc coast of Canada (on an island to boot ). I get my water either during a flood tide or when I'm out fishing in my boat to eliminate the risk of shore pollution. This area has the lowest salinity ocean water in the world at about 31ppm and I have to add salt to get it higher for my fish accustomed to saltier water.

Just for fun I am posting the water measurements I took today on my water gathered 3 days ago (pH measured at collection)

Salinity ( corrected for temp) 1.023
pH. 7.9
Amm, trIte, trAte. All 0
KH. 7 dKH or 107ppm (surprisingly low )
Ca. 280 (also surprisingly low)
Phosphates. 0.1ppm
Your are seeing lower calcium and kh because of the lower salinity. It is diluted seawater pretty much.

Also the .1 ppm phosphates would honestly steer me clear from it. Being diluted means it contains excess freshwater lowering Ph likey from rivers or runoff. Meaning your also collecting that run off.

Not saying what your doing cant be done, but compared those numbers to what is found on a tropical coral reef and they will be rather drastically different.

What is contained in that runoff is what would scare me. .1ppm phosphate should be a sign something is "off" with the water quality.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually the whole north pacific has low salinity.

http://www.coas.oregonstate.edu/imag...alinitymap.jpg

Tsunami debris has included 1 large fishing boat (sunk by the navy after failed towing attempts) and a sea container with a Harley (cleaned and returned to Japanese owner by local Harley clubs).
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Actually the whole north pacific has low salinity.

http://www.coas.oregonstate.edu/imag...alinitymap.jpg

Tsunami debris has included 1 large fishing boat (sunk by the navy after failed towing attempts) and a sea container with a Harley (cleaned and returned to Japanese owner by local Harley clubs).
Interesting map. Im guessing the lower salinity in the north would be from ice melt. In any case tho there is a reason coral reefs do not grow there. Your trying to imitate ocean water of a reef not the north pacific or atlantic.

What the OP is doing is perfectly fine, however its risky, and in my opinion better ways to imitate a coral reefs water parameters. Not to mention all the microscopic life that comes with seawater and the toxins/metals etc that cant be tested.

I just know if i had the choice. I would go with Ro/di and a quality saltmix every time for consistency, safeness, and reliability. That and the fact you absolutely know your water is perfect for sustaining a reef.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do have to add salt and other stuff to pretty up the water (alc etc). But do far I have had no other issues with the water.

Tags
ocean water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com