Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Ocean water smell....

My tank used to smell like the sea (a nice ocean smell) when I would lift the lid. It doesn't any more since I introduced 3 Turbo snails to my tank. Was it the macro algae that made it smell like that? How do I get that smell back? All my algae has been eaten by snails and is being replaced by coraline algae.

14 gal biocube salt
1 orange zoo polyp colony, 2 toad stool (small), 1 umbrella leather (large), 2 pulsing xenia, 1 star polyp colony, 7 blue mushrooms, snails, pep. shrimp, 3 blue legged hermits, 2 onyx percula clowns
DJLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
I do what you mean by the nice ocean smell. But clean ocean water smells like pretty much nothing. You can get the smell back by leaving it alone for 2 months and let things grow out...lol. Otherwise your aquarium is actually doing better now. The only thing I can think of is if I am wrong is check the salinity levels and make sure they are accurate and have stayed the same in the aquarium. If they lowered make sure they are brought back up!

3 Gallon Betta, 14 Gallon BioCube Planted, 29 Gallon Community, 29 Gallon Parrot Cichlid/Pleco
46 Bowfront Reef Tank, 3 Cats, 1 Choc. Lab
mr86mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Chances are the smell is somewhat still there you are just used to smelling it now. I believe that is how people who deal with pungent smells are able to do it, they just get used to the smell.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

ocean water, smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com