Oceanic Model 3 complete sump. HELP!! P.S — added a pictur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDHatter22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I got this gorgeous sump system for my drilled tank (although it came with onlt 2 drill holes — I'm going to do 2 drains and have the return come up the back of the tank with PVC and do a spray bar)

Now I guess I have a LOT of questions:

1) WHY on Earth would this NOT come with an installation guide??? If anyone has or is familiar with this system... PLEASE help me out.

I'm going to be adding an in-sump protein skimmer so please include that in any instructions you might be sending along.

It also come with a "bio-chamber" — but again, they don't say HOW to set the damn thing up!!

2) Somebody said something about check-valves. As I said, the tank came drilled (I got a great deal — brand new 150gal WITH cabinet stand — $500 flat — couldn't pass it up) BUT it didn't come with overflow boxes... JUST the drill holes. The assembly tubes come with top and bottom drains so... needless to say, the power goes out, I have an ocean in my living room. So I would need these check valves right? Now would these go JUST on the drainage tubes? Nothing on the returns correct.

3) I'm sorry if I'm asking a ton of dumb questions, but I'm not very familiar with this. I'm a 25-year freshwater guy finally making the switch.

4) Anything else you would like to add on this topic that I might be missing would be VERY, VERY helpful.

Thank you SO much in advance.

Mike

Attachments

• p1010022_188.jpg
    p1010022_188.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 352
  • p1010022_135.jpg
    p1010022_135.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 680
Hi, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
i wish i could help. I just did a search for your sump and came up empty. Do you have a web site or can you post some pics? Mechanically, most sumps are pretty simple, but getting everything set up is another story.

I would install some corner overflows in the tank. You could use standpipes by themselves, but the overflows would look lots better and probably be quieter. Can you post a pic of the sump? I have some experience with Oceanic wet/dry filters. The ones I've dealt with have the drain compartment in the very center of the sump. The bioballs go in the container that surrounds this center compartment. There should be a drip plate that will cover the bioball compartment. The center compartment will overflow onto the drip plate. The water then trickles down over the bioballs. There isn't much room in these type filters for a skimmer...you're pretty much limited to an external type. They're pretty good units...I just don't like the lack of room around the biochamber...makes cleaning difficult.

Back
Top Bottom