Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oceanic salt low ph problem & stressed fish.

I started using Oceanic 2 water changes ago. Trusted the product and never checked any levels except sg & temp when doing a change. Well the fish seemed stressed a few days ago and I found my PH at only 7.8. It has been at 8.1-8.3 till now. I added Kent buffer over a few days, got the PH up to 8.2 and they are acting fine again. Anyway, I am getting a PH of 7.8 @ 1.023 sg with freshly mixed (24hrs) Oceanic and R/O. I'm not sure what to do, this must be a bad batch and causing these problems? Should I add some buffer (for future water changes) or will that hurt the ionic balance in the long run? Maybe I should return the bucket? I bought the 200g bucket. I do not have an ALK test yet so I am in the dark on that.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
steve-s

It's actually not a rare occurance but what seems to be quite common with this salt. Low alk/pH and high Ca seem to be the norm. You could tweek it with a good buffer before use but be sure you test for the alk/Ca balance before using it in the tank. It will not upset anything as long as you do smaller additions and don't overshoot the balance.

What salt where you using previously? If IO, then they are exact opposites and will definately cause a large degree of stress on your animals. I hope you don't have SPS's.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-21-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Steve. No sps, I only have that leather and a hammer coral for now, they seem normal. I was using Crystal Sea salt. The buffer is Kent Superbuffer-dKh, is this good? I will see if I can get an alk test, and possibly Ca. What values will I be aiming for?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgetz
The buffer is Kent Superbuffer-dKh, is this good?
Definately my preference. Never had an issue with it so far.

Quote:
What values will I be aiming for?
Given the higher Ca of the salt, find out what the levels are for both alk and Ca and simpley target a balance by raising the alk. Unless you do very large water changes (50%+), the balanced higher levels won't be a huge concern. You'll most likely end up somewhere close to 3.5-4 mEq/l alk w/ a Ca of 425-440 ppm after tweeking. I'd also suggest regular monitoring of Mg with this salt. Stick to smaller than normal water changes for the next month or so (done weekly) and then gradually increase until your back to the normal routine. If you switch back to a different salt once this one is done, just be sure to repeat the same process.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-24-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am on my 3rd 200 gallon bucket of oceanic and my ph is always a steady 8.2. I will definately check it when I get new buckets.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ram6519
I have had my 55 Gal with 60 lbs of LR up and running for 4 months now and have had nothing but problems keeping the PH above 7.8 - 7.9. I use the Oceanic Natural sea salt mix. This is also the only salt that my LFS carries. Today they started me using the Kent Superbuffer-dKH. I use the same RO water that they use and their PH stays at 8.4 and this is what they use. I hope it works for me too.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also am using the Oceanic, and have had to buffer. I have one bucket left then I'm going to change to something else. Any suggestions?
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
steve-s

Kent or Tropic Marine are the main two I have never heard issue about. I use the Kent myself and has never let me down.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

steve-s, what are the CA, ALK and ph levels out of the bucket for kent. i have IO and am looking for something with a higher CA and slightly lower ALK

thanks
steve r
Old 12-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
steve-s

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=291539#291539

Cheers
Steve

Tags
low ph, oceanic, salt, stress, stressed fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com