Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

oceanic sump model 3

oceanic sump 3
I have this sump and I am having some problems with micro bubbles, was considering putting in some baffles , but there really isn't room. Does anyone have this sump that has done anything else other then instal baffles to help reduce the micro bubbles? I have a mag 12 internal pump and a ASM g3 skimmer also in the sump. Tank is 180 gallon oceanic reef ready.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have an Oceanic sump 2 that I was using 'as-is' for a 125 gallon fresh water cichlid tank. I decided to convert the tank to a reef tank, and the first thing I did was 're-do' the sump. Got rid of the bio-balls, took out the original small 'baffles', put in 3 10" glass baffles, and also added a 'bubble tower' for the drain lines. I'm using a separate fuge that will drain into the return area of the sump, and will be using an ASM G3 sump. I have no idea how well it works, though, as I haven't gotten the tank finished yet, still building the canopy/closed loop system.

If you do this, be carefull taking out the existing small baffles, when I did it pulled up some silicone from the bottom. I just filled that in with new silicone, though, no leaks.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

what is a bubble tower?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a section of the sump where the drains empty into, kind of like a baffle. The tops of the section are higher than the water level, the water drains out of the bottom of the 'bubble tower'. This helps to eliminate bubbles caused by the drain. LR rubble can be put in the tower to aid in both bubble elimination, and in filtration.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

That link has a video of a bubble tower in action, scroll down to the 'video' section. I built mine across the complete width of the sump, not just in one corner.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tried putting live rock in the sump to help break up bubbles . but it didn't help? Anyone have suggestions?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Is the return hose/tube submerged?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

What exactly do you mean, the hose from the return pump or the black hose that connects at the overflow that pumps water back into the tank?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

The hose that feeds water into the sump. Where sump meets hose. Wonderin' if not submerged, would it make more bubbles from the "drop" into the water.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Both overflow hoses are submerged about 1 inch into water of sump.

Tags
oceanic, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com