oceanic sump model 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeling reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
oceanic sump 3
I have this sump and I am having some problems with micro bubbles, was considering putting in some baffles , but there really isn't room. Does anyone have this sump that has done anything else other then instal baffles to help reduce the micro bubbles? I have a mag 12 internal pump and a ASM g3 skimmer also in the sump. Tank is 180 gallon oceanic reef ready.

I have an Oceanic sump 2 that I was using 'as-is' for a 125 gallon fresh water cichlid tank. I decided to convert the tank to a reef tank, and the first thing I did was 're-do' the sump. Got rid of the bio-balls, took out the original small 'baffles', put in 3 10" glass baffles, and also added a 'bubble tower' for the drain lines. I'm using a separate fuge that will drain into the return area of the sump, and will be using an ASM G3 sump. I have no idea how well it works, though, as I haven't gotten the tank finished yet, still building the canopy/closed loop system.

If you do this, be carefull taking out the existing small baffles, when I did it pulled up some silicone from the bottom. I just filled that in with new silicone, though, no leaks.

It's a section of the sump where the drains empty into, kind of like a baffle. The tops of the section are higher than the water level, the water drains out of the bottom of the 'bubble tower'. This helps to eliminate bubbles caused by the drain. LR rubble can be put in the tower to aid in both bubble elimination, and in filtration.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

That link has a video of a bubble tower in action, scroll down to the 'video' section. I built mine across the complete width of the sump, not just in one corner.

What exactly do you mean, the hose from the return pump or the black hose that connects at the overflow that pumps water back into the tank?

The hose that feeds water into the sump. Where sump meets hose. Wonderin' if not submerged, would it make more bubbles from the "drop" into the water.

Back
Top Bottom