Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ocellaris and firefish

As far as I know, these two types of fish would be ok with each other in the same tank. However, I've got a purple firefish that doesn't leave it's hiding place and the new (red) firefish i added seem to have it's tail bitten and its not leaving its hiding place. I'm pretty sure the clowns are peaceful, but it seems the larger of the 2 is extremely aggressive. I even saw it chasing the firefish.

Should I remove the clowns and see what happens?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What other fish are in the tank?
How big is the tank?
What species of clowns?
Describe the environmental setting of the tank (is it reef, FOWLR, or FO?

FYI, the females are the larger of a pair of clowns. Though both will guard their eggs and territories, it is the female that displays more intense aggressive behavior...even toward the male and everything else including your hand!!...LOL. I've been nailed by a few clowns. They get ya by surprise too.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think its your clowns causing the problems. I believe two firefish together, unless they are a mated pair, is not a good idea. Check it out this site http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...d=7&item_id=36
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just realized the name of the type of clowns are right on the subject. I highly doubt the ocellaris would cause that kind of trouble with firefish. Two different species of firefish introduced at different times may be what started it.

I've had firefish of the same species live together just fine (both red and purple), but they were introduced at the same time as well as being of the same species and more than two...usually five or more in any single tank.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I added a firefish after having a pair of O. clowns in my 26gal for over a year. No problems at all!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

My O. Clowns are definetly the most mellow fish in my tank. They don't bother anyone else and nobody bothers them. I have 3 blue/green chromies that are always squabbeling amongst themselves. They are good sized ones, around 3" or so. My clowns were just babies when I added them, less than an inch long. Was worried about putting them together with Larry, Moe and Curly. Not a single problem. The clowns hang out with them at times. Have always wondered what makes clowns seem so neutral, but that's the way I think of them. Would be really surprised if the O. Clown was the problem. Could be I guess.

Tags
firefish, ocellaris

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com