ocellaris and firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samwise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As far as I know, these two types of fish would be ok with each other in the same tank. However, I've got a purple firefish that doesn't leave it's hiding place and the new (red) firefish i added seem to have it's tail bitten and its not leaving its hiding place. I'm pretty sure the clowns are peaceful, but it seems the larger of the 2 is extremely aggressive. I even saw it chasing the firefish.

Should I remove the clowns and see what happens?

What other fish are in the tank?
How big is the tank?
What species of clowns?
Describe the environmental setting of the tank (is it reef, FOWLR, or FO?

FYI, the females are the larger of a pair of clowns. Though both will guard their eggs and territories, it is the female that displays more intense aggressive behavior...even toward the male and everything else including your hand!!...LOL. I've been nailed by a few clowns. They get ya by surprise too.

I just realized the name of the type of clowns are right on the subject. I highly doubt the ocellaris would cause that kind of trouble with firefish. Two different species of firefish introduced at different times may be what started it.

I've had firefish of the same species live together just fine (both red and purple), but they were introduced at the same time as well as being of the same species and more than two...usually five or more in any single tank.

My O. Clowns are definetly the most mellow fish in my tank. They don't bother anyone else and nobody bothers them. I have 3 blue/green chromies that are always squabbeling amongst themselves. They are good sized ones, around 3" or so. My clowns were just babies when I added them, less than an inch long. Was worried about putting them together with Larry, Moe and Curly. Not a single problem. The clowns hang out with them at times. Have always wondered what makes clowns seem so neutral, but that's the way I think of them. Would be really surprised if the O. Clown was the problem. Could be I guess.

Back
Top Bottom