Ocellaris Clownfish Pairing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read on a website that all ocellaris clowns are born male and one will change sexes to a female. My tank will finish cycling probably in about a week. I was thinking about getting a clownfish. However I thought it would be really cool to have a mating pair. So my question is if I get two juvenille clowns, will one of them change sex and become a pair?

Yes. Fighting will occur to establish which one is dominant and then the winning one will become female. That's why it's a good idea to buy two different sizes so the fighting will be less intense and shorter, because the large one will have the advantage.
If you can buy a mated pair. Saves all the fighting etc.
BTW you don't need an anenome to keep the pair or for them to spawn. They'll do that regardless. :)

Get two juvi's, One larger then the other. They'll have there fights here and there but will settle down once established who's going to be who. The larger one being the female most likely.

If it was me I would get one much larger than the other. Not one slightly larger. Two that are nearly the same size will fight to the death. Ask your LFS to get you a mated pair.

I got a pair of juvi A. Percula (true clownfish) as my first fish 6 years ago. They were about the same size. The female is now about twice the size of the male. They finally started their courtship last year. At least that was the first time I noticed eggs.

Mine host a frogspawn. No need to get an anemone, so please don't.

Not this time. Just when someone gets one and hasn't fully researched the purchase. Yes I'm guilty, so I'm probably like a reformed smoker in that regard (though as one, cigarettes smokers don't bother all that much).

Here's my black and white hosting a silicone anemone and not knowing the difference.
img_1121820_0_930295b2534782536283c843e46d3b9c.jpg

My clown plays musical chairs and hops over to host as many different objects as she likes.
Here's the same fish hosting some Zoas..
img_1122011_0_4901a89da661c7452c63f1c77e542337.jpg

Back
Top Bottom