Ocellaris or Percula - Which do you prefer and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm80

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is nearing the end of the cycle and when I begin adding fish I want to get 2 small clowns first. I can't decide if I want Ocellaris or Percula. I know there are small physiological differences, but that's not what I'm asking about.

Mainly which do you think are more fun/interesting and why? Which are easier to keep? More/Less aggressive?

I know this is strictly personal opinion, but do you prefer orange or black? If I go with Ocellaris, I can't decide if I want black or white.

Even with 2 of the same you can have to completely different fish personality wise. I really like the solid black and white clowns.

Flip a coin?

Really there is no difference besides colour if you get black or slightly larger lines for a true perc. The personality will be dependant on the fish not the species.

I have fudge glazed Clowns. Father was a Darwin and mother was a wild caught ocellaris. They have orage faces and bellies but dark backs. Breeder was local guy.

There are differences. The main one is if they are tank-raised. You can get both false and true that were tank raised. I would avoid wild caught as tank raised are hardier.

One of the differences can be that false are less likely to host a nem. Not in all cases, as with anything in this hobby, but moreso than not.

Personally, when I get mine, I'm getting two pairs - ideally 1 pr TR true and 1 pr TR Black & White. But I have a 125.

If you can only accommodate 2, I say B&W because everyone gets orange!

I prefer Percula because of the extra black.

^this, i just like that perculas seem to have more of a yellow tone rather than orange, and i like the random black coloring they have.

both are about the same when it comes to keeping, obviously tank raised are hardier, and it seems to be oscellaris clowns are more often seen tank raised than percs, around where i am atleast

I have two blacks and 2 oranges, they get along fine. Just make sure they have there own frog spawns or anemones to house.

They may fight a little bit within the first couples months, making one male or female ect.

IT will pass though, and remember these fish do not have teeth so the probability of them killing one another is slim. Although if 2 or 3 is picking on one he may die do to stress.

Get a couple bigger fish to put in with them and they wont touch one another, they will be intimidated by the bigger fish and will just be happy with there frogs or anemones.

IME selling a lot of them the best way to get them is to get two that are in the same tank at the shop. Whether they are a pair (very different in size) or juveniles (none are female yet) they should still get along at home. With time they will change sex and one will be the larger female. I personally would avoid getting them at very different sizes. You have to assume the larger is a female and if the smaller one was alone for a month or two it could be a female as well (There is not really a minimum size to be female, just being alone will cause it). They can't switch back to male so they will just fight until they kill each other.

I have two perculas and love them. Personality is just going to depend on the fish, my clowns are total opposites. My female doesn't move so much and is more defensive of her area, my male is very active and docile. Plus he swims upside down and plays dead. Seriously, I have gone to get him out three or four times and he pops up and starts swimming as soon as I open the canopy, he doesn't fool me anymore. It's all just personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom