Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ocellaris or Percula - Which do you prefer and why?

My tank is nearing the end of the cycle and when I begin adding fish I want to get 2 small clowns first. I can't decide if I want Ocellaris or Percula. I know there are small physiological differences, but that's not what I'm asking about.

Mainly which do you think are more fun/interesting and why? Which are easier to keep? More/Less aggressive?

I know this is strictly personal opinion, but do you prefer orange or black? If I go with Ocellaris, I can't decide if I want black or white.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even with 2 of the same you can have to completely different fish personality wise. I really like the solid black and white clowns.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flip a coin?

Really there is no difference besides colour if you get black or slightly larger lines for a true perc. The personality will be dependant on the fish not the species.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have fudge glazed Clowns. Father was a Darwin and mother was a wild caught ocellaris. They have orage faces and bellies but dark backs. Breeder was local guy.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

I prefer Percula because of the extra black.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are differences. The main one is if they are tank-raised. You can get both false and true that were tank raised. I would avoid wild caught as tank raised are hardier.

One of the differences can be that false are less likely to host a nem. Not in all cases, as with anything in this hobby, but moreso than not.

Personally, when I get mine, I'm getting two pairs - ideally 1 pr TR true and 1 pr TR Black & White. But I have a 125.

If you can only accommodate 2, I say B&W because everyone gets orange!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
I prefer Percula because of the extra black.

^this, i just like that perculas seem to have more of a yellow tone rather than orange, and i like the random black coloring they have.

both are about the same when it comes to keeping, obviously tank raised are hardier, and it seems to be oscellaris clowns are more often seen tank raised than percs, around where i am atleast
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 False Percula clowns and 2 Maroons and they all get along well and they are fun to watch to.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have two blacks and 2 oranges, they get along fine. Just make sure they have there own frog spawns or anemones to house.

They may fight a little bit within the first couples months, making one male or female ect.

IT will pass though, and remember these fish do not have teeth so the probability of them killing one another is slim. Although if 2 or 3 is picking on one he may die do to stress.

Get a couple bigger fish to put in with them and they wont touch one another, they will be intimidated by the bigger fish and will just be happy with there frogs or anemones.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also by buying two of very different sizes the amount of fighting will be reduced as the large one will quickly become the dominant one.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, ocellaris, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com