Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The danger would be if both are females. If they are both males they will fight for dominance. The winner then will become a female. If both are females they will fight till one dies. It's hard to sex adult clowns. Hence my advice to go with juveniles. Also, if you already have one clown and want to add another you might want to use an acclimation box for 2-3 days with a new clown in it to see the reaction of the established clown.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, I would need to introduce a juvenile ocellaris and a juvenile black ocellaris, at the same time?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That'd be best.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
So, I would need to introduce a juvenile ocellaris and a juvenile black ocellaris, at the same time?
Yes. Also, I am a firm believer in getting a pair where one clownfish is slightly bigger than the other. The larger clown will establish dominance over the smaller one without much fighting. It has worked for me more than once. And you will have to decide if you want the black occy to be the male or female (again based on size) because the female will be bigger and more visible in your tank than the male. If you want the black/white clown to be the female make sure it's the largest of the two.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

keep in mind too that its not uncommon for an established female, as she ages,to lose her vibrant, sharp coloration for a slightly blurry duller coloration
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
That'd be best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
Yes. Also, I am a firm believer in getting a pair where one clownfish is slightly bigger than the other. The larger clown will establish dominance over the smaller one without much fighting. It has worked for me more than once. And you will have to decide if you want the black occy to be the male or female (again based on size) because the female will be bigger and more visible in your tank than the male. If you want the black/white clown to be the female make sure it's the largest of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
keep in mind too that its not uncommon for an established female, as she ages,to lose her vibrant, sharp coloration for a slightly blurry duller coloration
awesome! I'm thinking I want the black one to be the male, orange to be female. Thanks for all the info guys! If there's something extra that y'all think I need to know then feel free to post it! I'll post here if I have any questions also!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, so I just bought and introduced the black ocellaris and regular ocellaris to my tank! The first 10 minutes they were hiding, after that they started to swim around and began to "explore". As I was watching them I noticed that my black ocellaris was "breathing" rather fast! I looked at my other fish and they seemed to be breathing normally! This morning he is still swimming around, and still breathing hard! Im just assuming it's just because he's new to the tank? Maybe it's just how he breathes? I just left town for the second time to go to my grandpas! I'm probably overreacting but I really like these ocellaris! For those who participated in my thread about my dartfish know that I worry too much! Lol
Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That happens sometimes especially after poor acclimating process. It should be ok though if your water is good. If the clown is eating that's a good sign
Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
That happens sometimes especially after poor acclimating process. It should be ok though if your water is good. If the clown is eating that's a good sign
ah ok! Well I'm gonna feed him tonight so I help he eats. How would you recommend acclimating fish? For suture reference. I floated the bad for 20 minutes and then dripped water (2-4 drops per second) into a bucket for 35 minutes. :/
Old 12-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He ate a little last night, but when I went to bed he was hanging out at the top of the tank near the surface at about the same angle as this slash "\" with his nose up, this morning he is still doing it and still breathing heavy. My other clownfish I introduce at the same time is doing great! He's swimming around and breathing normally. My dartfish seem happy as well! What could be wrong with him?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com