octopi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spuds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was thinking about a pygmy octopus. Anyone have any experience with one? If you do, was it a painful or great one?

I havent had one before, but I heard they arent good for aquariums. The reason is they are very good at "escaping" from there tanks, plus they are the only thing you can have in you tank. No other fish, or inverts. Thats what I have heard. Not worth it IMO. HTH!

These are extremely smart animals and should only be left to the experienced aquarist. They are great escape artists and can squeeze through an opening smaller then a dime. They require a species only tank that is as tight as possible...no holes or loose fitting hoods. They are amazing to watch and can actually learn to be hand-fed. Very tempting but best left alone.

And aren't they short lived creatures? 1-2yrs tops?
Correct. Their lifespan in general is very short. About 18 months in captivity, but not much more in the wild.

And, you need a large tank...typically 90gallons, for one small octopus.

I agree, they are very cool creatures...but so are tigers...and I know better than to try to keep one of those as a pet.

Actually a small pygmy octo can be kept in a 30 gallon long tank quite successfully according to an article published in TFH a while back. Octo's are very smart - great escape artists, require near perfect water quality low temps and high salinity. I kept one a while back and while it was rewarding it was a major major chore.

They look pretty cool but I wouldn't do all that work and spend all that money ofr something that lives for a year or a little more.

Never hear exactly of a pygmy octopus. There are some that can be kept in samller tanks. There are some that are golf ball size but one, the blue-ringed, is extremely poisonous, the other is from antarctica and of course requires VERY cold water nad I've never seen it for sale.

Ok thats all im going to say because, like the others said, I hope you skip this animal as least for now until you have a great understanding of the sw hobby. Aren't you just starting sw? Thought I read it on another thread...of so that's another reason not to.

Back
Top Bottom