Octopus Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machzrt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where can I find more information about these, or can someone on here give me some info. My local LFS had just received one and it was not out when I was there. Looked alot like a frogspawn but better looking.

austinsdad said:
You talking about the Tubastrea Micrantha? Or a sun coral?
I think they are talking about euphyllia group.

I am sure you would be able to follow the care instructions for the whole euphyllia group... frogspawn, hammer, torch and octopus

The LFS had it maked as a Frogspawn, which one of the employees was correcting as I was looking at it. It does resemble the frogspawn but the polyps are a lot thicker and instead of have the brighter color on only the tips there a lot of little bright dots all over the polyps. I don't know the official name of this coral, just what the LFS employee told me. I have tried looking up an octopus coral on the net but with no success. :?:

Octopus coral is a hobbyist "tag" if you will. It's not really a defined species, at least not that I've been able to find. It looks something like a cross between an parancora and paradivisa. The only species reference I have ever heard in relation to this type of coral is Euphyllia yayamaenis (on About.com) but I have no idea how accurate that would be.

Cheers
Steve

That one pictured in the link from Rev is in the tubastrea family, not related to the froggies and the hammers of the world. If that's what they're saying it is (and that's what the skeletin looks like) then it would be a greenish variety of a sun coral. Very pretty. Generally non-photosynthetic, requires direct feedings 2-3x per week.

Back
Top Bottom