Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep they belong in the ocean. But I would rather see someone who wants to provide a safe and good environment buy one. Than someone else that's buying on impulses. Just take your time and do your research ask question at your marine lfs. If you get one I think you will provide the best tank possible good luck.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If it belongs in the ocean then so does all of our fish. It is very hypocritical to say otherwise.

Know what your getting into and do tons of research.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm normally on the freshwater side of the forum, but noticed this thread.

I must say that the idea that no sentient creature should be kept in a cage is quite untrue when it comes to conservation of many species. Most great apes are in zoos, as well as elephants and many other animals capable of recognizing themselves in mirrors, as well as complex emotions. Without the efforts of these zoos, many of these species would be much more in danger in the wild than they currently are, and many are already at great risk in the wild.

However, in this case, the animal is not going to be contributing back to its species through captive breeding, so it's more for entertainment. Its not really my place to say whats right and what's wrong and only that power is in the hands of the owner. If they really wanna try it, go ahead. But please think carefully and maybe consider something that won't almost surely end up out of the tank

Octopi are truly wondrous creatures and their intelligence is something to behold. They rival a small child easily in intelligence, creativity, awareness, etc. and are easily one of, if not the smartest invertebrates on the planet
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

These guys have a horribly short life span. All I can say is if you go with it they need a matured and well cycled tank.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
Don't get a blue spot octo!
Ahahah i think im the only one who caught the reference...agreed!!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you do, and only if you can do it right, you need deep pockets and lots if time to prepare. Leaving the ethics to everyone else, the other main concern besides securing it, it filtration. They eat a lot, are incredibly messy eaters and create a huge amount of waste.

You will need a monstrous skimmer, probable carbon dosing, and ideally a remote reservoir to house live rock (since a huge amount can go into the tank). You will need a sump for equipment and a closed loop for flow.

If you chose to do this, your reality is a huge investment (thousands) and a vast amount of maintenance to house a single creature which likely won't live to see a year.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
If you do, and only if you can do it right, you need deep pockets and lots if time to prepare. Leaving the ethics to everyone else, the other main concern besides securing it, it filtration. They eat a lot, are incredibly messy eaters and create a huge amount of waste.

You will need a monstrous skimmer, probable carbon dosing, and ideally a remote reservoir to house live rock (since a huge amount can go into the tank). You will need a sump for equipment and a closed loop for flow.

If you chose to do this, your reality is a huge investment (thousands) and a vast amount of maintenance to house a single creature which likely won't live to see a year.
This is very true!
I absolutely love octopus tanks and I think they are incredible creatures, and one day strive to own one, but the bad part is they really do have very short life spans. If you do get one, make sure it's from a reputable dealer and get an exact age on it because if you get one that's already 6-7 months old, you might only own it for 4 or so months before it dies. 1 year old is about average for any captive houses octopus, maybe 2 years if you're real lucky.

But good luck, and definately keep us posted! I'll be following along!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well no worries I will do my reasearch. That's why I am on here. I haven't even gotten a tank yet.and no I'm defiantly not going to get a blue ringed one. I'm not stupid. That's the last thing I need is my nephew to find out that it has escaped.
I plan on getting a drilled 65 with a plexi top. And a 20 gal sump for extra rock and equipment.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman View Post
Well no worries I will do my reasearch. That's why I am on here. I haven't even gotten a tank yet.and no I'm defiantly not going to get a blue ringed one. I'm not stupid. That's the last thing I need is my nephew to find out that it has escaped.
I plan on getting a drilled 65 with a plexi top. And a 20 gal sump for extra rock and equipment.
just wondering have you ran a marine tank before? if not i would really shy away from an octopus because they are going to be a headache. If you have then thats a great fun challenge. I myself am challenging myself with a Cat shark. (currently in egg)
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes I have had a reef tank for 3 years now. Yes I've had some problems along the way, but who hasent? And good luck with your shark I wanna see pictures when it hatches

Tags
octopus, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com