Octopus with other predators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4enzix

Aquarium Advice Regular
im looking into getting a Octopus bimaculoides for my 50 gallon tank as they stay small, but are they any other kinds of predators that i could put in there... would a little celyon puffer or something eat the octopus? .. a snowflake eel? any ideas?

I have been doing some research on octopi and from what I have read there are no safe tankmates for an octopus.

lol i know thats not true, i know someone whos kept an octopus with many other fish, the fish do have to be big enough that the pus wont eat them. the octopus im looking into remains fairly small. but ive got a suspicion the puffer will try and eat him. In which case ill get rid of the puffer

I believe the problem is the ink-factor. I was entertaining the idea of keeping an octopus a while ago and researched it as well. I believe the chances, although slim, that the pus will release ink into your tank if another fish even seems threatening is a possibility. If its startled it COULD release ink. The ink is toxic, obviously, and you could lose not only the other fish but the octopus itself to the poison.

Again, I've not kept one myself but from what I read I also remember the recommendation that it be kept alone - for ink reasons.

- Skins

A puffer would definitely try and take a chunk out of the Octopus.

And having large fish in with a small octo is not a good idea either, because they will pick at it and anything that sticks out of it (like its eyes).

And if it gets startled it will release ink.

The ink is not toxic, however if it gets onto fish gills (or the octopus's) it will coat them and the fish and the octo will die of asphyxiation. You will need to do an immediate FULL water change if it inks. This can be avoided sometimes if the tank is big enough and you have plenty of carbon and a good skimmer.

Also, an eel and an octo are natural enemies.

Octos require a tank all to themselves. You can put SOME other things like starfish in with it, however in general everything is either prey or predator to an octo.

Octos belong in a species only tank. I would not attempt to put it with other livestock.

I have always been told that they are escape artist and should be kept only in a sealed or secure tank. I don't know if this is true, but I have thought about it myself in the past but I can't afford an investment to be dead on the floor. I also read that they only live a year or two at most.

Any truth to these things???

This is very true and one of the biggest challenges in keeping an octo. They can pretty much sqeeze though just about any openig and they are stong enough (and smart enough) to open glass tops. Tops should be weighted in order to prevent this.

I've seen a small octopus at my LFS in a nano tank with lots of LR and there was one fish in there with it. I think the fish was a Purple Stripe Pseudochromis, but I'm not sure. This is a good family-owned fish store ,too, especially with saltwater fish, so I doubt they would make any mistakes.

I remember a story of an owner who had many saltwater tanks and he kept an octopus. His other tanks kept missing fish and he couldn't figure out what was happening to them, till one day he found the octopus going from a tank and then back to his own. They are extremely intelligent so be very careful. You may be able to buy a reptile cage that has a non-rusting top with special fasteners. When I use to keep snakes I would use metal screened tops and metal clips on every side, these probably won't work because they'll rust out quickly. The metal clips attach to the screen and under the rim of the tank tops plastic. The weighing down option doesn't work real well unless it's very heavy and then it's not good having that on the top of the tank. I found with keeping snakes they would be able to force open the top in the area where it wasnt weighted down and slip through. Thats why most of the reptile keeps use clips.

Back
Top Bottom