Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Octopus with other predators?

im looking into getting a Octopus bimaculoides for my 50 gallon tank as they stay small, but are they any other kinds of predators that i could put in there... would a little celyon puffer or something eat the octopus? .. a snowflake eel? any ideas?

Old 03-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been doing some research on octopi and from what I have read there are no safe tankmates for an octopus.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol i know thats not true, i know someone whos kept an octopus with many other fish, the fish do have to be big enough that the pus wont eat them. the octopus im looking into remains fairly small. but ive got a suspicion the puffer will try and eat him. In which case ill get rid of the puffer
Old 03-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe the problem is the ink-factor. I was entertaining the idea of keeping an octopus a while ago and researched it as well. I believe the chances, although slim, that the pus will release ink into your tank if another fish even seems threatening is a possibility. If its startled it COULD release ink. The ink is toxic, obviously, and you could lose not only the other fish but the octopus itself to the poison.

Again, I've not kept one myself but from what I read I also remember the recommendation that it be kept alone - for ink reasons.

- Skins

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

A puffer would definitely try and take a chunk out of the Octopus.

And having large fish in with a small octo is not a good idea either, because they will pick at it and anything that sticks out of it (like its eyes).

And if it gets startled it will release ink.

The ink is not toxic, however if it gets onto fish gills (or the octopus's) it will coat them and the fish and the octo will die of asphyxiation. You will need to do an immediate FULL water change if it inks. This can be avoided sometimes if the tank is big enough and you have plenty of carbon and a good skimmer.

Also, an eel and an octo are natural enemies.

Octos require a tank all to themselves. You can put SOME other things like starfish in with it, however in general everything is either prey or predator to an octo.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Octos belong in a species only tank. I would not attempt to put it with other livestock.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
I have always been told that they are escape artist and should be kept only in a sealed or secure tank. I don't know if this is true, but I have thought about it myself in the past but I can't afford an investment to be dead on the floor. I also read that they only live a year or two at most.

Any truth to these things???
Old 04-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is very true and one of the biggest challenges in keeping an octo. They can pretty much sqeeze though just about any openig and they are stong enough (and smart enough) to open glass tops. Tops should be weighted in order to prevent this.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

octopi do not have bones, thus they can squeeze through tiny gaps in the tank lid.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
yea my friend had one and it sqeezed through a hole smaller then a dime and did the carpet dive and died.

Tags
octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com