Odd Additions to Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey All,

All I can think about is my Tank! (Ask my GF - she is ready to kill me)

I was wondering if people had some "not so common" livestock (Crustaceans, Fish, Corals, Worms, anything really) they have put in - for both diversity and talking points.

I am looking for anything cool that draws attention.

Pictures would be awesome as well!

Vince

Brittlestars (both large and small), colonial feather duster worms, large sand worms, asteria stars to name just a few.

How big is the tank? Most saltwater fish are pretty crazy looking! I find people are impressed with my tank anyways because no one else I know keeps salt water. Having said that the sexy shrimp are pretty funny creatures...

It is an interesting question, as there is a ton of stuff in a thriving reef tank. CLeaner shrimp that set up a cleaning station for fish, the pistol shrimp/goby combo where the shrimp is guarded by the fish as it digs them a nice home, crabs that care for anemones, live on them, and sway special fanned legs that help them filter feed from the water column, feather dusters are great worm additions...the list really goes on and on.

I have a 90 gallon. It has a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, a Blood Shrimp, and a Coral Banded Shrimp. I also have a Brittle Star and a Serpent Star.

Would love feather dusters.

Do you buy the worms some place?

I have Feather Dusters at my LFS - not sure if my tank is established enough for them

Do you get large sand worms there as well?

Caution about the large feather dusters. I had on but it eventually died. I read after I got it that they actually need less than pristine water to stay fed. My old tank used a nitrate consuming bacteria which the duster would then eat. My current tank doesn't need that and the worm eventually starved I think.

For Feather Dusters you can also feed with phytoplankton right?

For some reason my GF wants a Cucumber really badly.

Back
Top Bottom