Odd Clownfish behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!

I have a pair of tru percs that I've had for about 6 months now. They are both fighting fit and where paired when I got them. I recently bought a nice big leather coral which the female has started hosting in the past few days! (score!).

But since then, they have started behaving odd. In the past, the female has occassionaly nipped at the male (which is normal I hear) but since the female has been hosting the leather the male clown has been nipping at the female!!

When the male nips at the female, she sometimes does this little twitch thing, which I have read means that their is a dominance fight in play.

Is my Male clownfish challenging the right to be Female?? and winning!??

Comments would be awsome! thnkyou

I think that the male has decided to be more dominant, and is trying to become the female. If the larger clownfish is truly a female (already gone though the sex-change) than this is not possible. BUT if both clownfish aren't fully mature yet, the previously-thought male may become female.

I just went home to check on them and they are still at it. the larger one (who im assuming is the female and has been for the past 6 months) has hidden in a large shell I have.

Is it unusual for a paired couple to suddenly become aggressive towards each other?

I'm not sure what I should do with them...

Back
Top Bottom