Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Odd Cycle..?

So I started my cycle two days ago and my results were very surprising. I am using two dead shrimp to cycle my tank.

Why its weird:

-I put the shrimp in two days ago and have readings for everything. Could it have triggered my Live Rock to die off? My live rock was not dying when I first put it in for some reason.

-Ammonia 1ppm
-NitrIte 5ppm
-NitrAte 40ppm

Does anyone know whats happening?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the picture of my results:

Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im pretty sure thats supposed to happen but w8 4 sum1 wit more experience
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dose the ammonia back up to 4ppm... you're about ready for your 50% water change.... basically want to get the nitrItes and nitrAtes off the chart, then do a 50% water change so you can read them again... then keep going... soon after you'll nitrItes and ammonia will read 0 and you're nitrAtes will be really high... then its basically done.. time for the 90% change and cooling the water back down before you put fish in to get the nitrAtes under 20 for the fish.

That's how I understood the fish less cycle anyways as it was written up on here... again, I'm in the middle of mine as well, my first tank, so take what i say with a grain of salt, I'm new too.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh yeah... not a bad idea to do a pH test now too.

BTW did you have any seeding material? 48 hours for the cycle is REALLY fast, like unheard of from what I've been reading without seeding material.

But alas, you're in salt water, and I've never dabbled with it at all... so who knows... maybe I'm completely off
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerb7 View Post
Dose the ammonia back up to 4ppm... you're about ready for your 50% water change.... basically want to get the nitrItes and nitrAtes off the chart, then do a 50% water change so you can read them again... then keep going... soon after you'll nitrItes and ammonia will read 0 and you're nitrAtes will be really high... then its basically done.. time for the 90% change and cooling the water back down before you put fish in to get the nitrAtes under 20 for the fish.

That's how I understood the fish less cycle anyways as it was written up on here... again, I'm in the middle of mine as well, my first tank, so take what i say with a grain of salt, I'm new too.
Is it weird that it has been two days?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cant dose the ammonia due to the shrimp is the ammonia source. If live rock rubble is seeding material then i guess that is it. I guess I will find out whats going on over the next week...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

where did you get the rock from,If from another tank you'll find the bacteria is doing its job,leave the shrimp in there for a few more days,dont worry about testing for nitrates just yet.Take the shrimp out if there is any left after a couple of days then test for amm and trites.when the amm is 0 test for trites and trates,when the trites are zero and your trates start to drop then its time for a water change of around 20% if reading around 20 more if reading is higher.then your ready to stock.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
where did you get the rock from,If from another tank you'll find the bacteria is doing its job,leave the shrimp in there for a few more days,dont worry about testing for nitrates just yet.Take the shrimp out if there is any left after a couple of days then test for amm and trites.when the amm is 0 test for trites and trates,when the trites are zero and your trates start to drop then its time for a water change of around 20% if reading around 20 more if reading is higher.then your ready to stock.
I got most of the rock from a friend, it was dead live rock. i then bought 4lbs of live rock and 4 pounds of lr rubble from a fish store near me.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

what size tank is it

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com