Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Odd green Mandarin Behavior

Ever since I got this green mandarin about 6 months ago he has done something odd every couple of weeks. At night when the lights are way down he floats to the top of the tank and just hovers around on the surface near the overflow and swims through the return jets. In the morning he is back on the bottom swimming around like normal. This only happens maybe once a month, every other night he is just puttering around the bottom as usual. Anyone have a mandarin that does this? Any ideas on why?

Here is a video of him tonight.

JonathanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I don't have a mandarin, but I know all my fish do weird things at night and it scares me to see sometimes lol. I know my clown does the same thing as your mandarin, he swims real fast to the surface right after the light goes out. I wouldn't worry about it. I have no idea why fish do such weird things when the lights go out though

George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Lolol at the very end it looks like an octopus tentacle attacks the mandarin.

I always find it cute when fish do weird stuff
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe he just really wanted to stretch out and only felt comfortable enough to do it when it's dark?

My salty fish don't do anything odd but my school of harlequin rasbora occasionally swim back and forth across my tank and each time they come to the right side of my tank they all circle around the suction cup holding my filter in place.
Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote

behavior, green, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com