odd question...puffers attracted to jewelry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings.

I do not have a saltwater tank, but I visit the ones at the lfs. Anyway, they had just gotten a new puffer (the thing is UGLY). I put my hand up to the glass, and the puffer came over, rubbing it's head on the glass like a puppy would. I moved my hand, and it followed. I realized it wasn't following my index finger, but my second finger. I switched hands, and it ignored it, swimming away. I put my first hand back up, and it was back, rubbing against the glass. The only difference is my hand has a black opal on it.

Anyway, does anyone else have similar experiences? Do saltwater fish react to jewelry? Thanks.

Fish seem to be attracted to shiney objects, just look at most fishing lures. Sometimes you can even catch bluegill on a bare hook as long as it is one of those nice shiney golden kind.

In the wild many fish (including ones such as barracuda) are attracted to shiny items. Thats why when you dive it is suggested that you not wear jewelry.
Silversides and other will "shine" and they are food for larger fish. He was just doing what comes naturally.
BTW you thought that the puffer was ugly????
Cute fish IMO.

Im not gonna let porcy read this thread, it might hurt his feelings
cry.gif

Back
Top Bottom