OH ANGEL HAIR ALGEA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a serious problem with angel hair algea. Its all over the substrate and its starting to trap bubbles. Will a sand sifting star fix this.

No sand sifting stars are carnivores, wont touch algae. A 20 is too small for one anyway.
Can you get us a pic of it? Would help with ID.
What are your water parameters, specifically your nitrate and PO4?
Do you use tap water?

gozetec02 said:
As a matter of fact I do use tap water to refill the tank but I put dechlorinator in it and let it sit for a day.

That is quite likely the problem. Even though you've removed the chlorine, there are often many MANY other nutrients and contaminants in tap water (obviously depending on your local water supply) I highly recommend getting an RO filter. The prices on them vary greatly, I got a basic 3 stage RO for about $120. IMO, they're a must have for a SW system.

Also... you say, angel hair algae... that is usually a decorative algae that some folks put in deliberatly. Do you mean simply, hair algae? thats the nusance stuff that grows out of control. Angel Hair usually grows in clumps and doesn't spread too quickly.... unless i'm thinking of something else... which is entirely possible.

Back
Top Bottom