Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh Crap! what happened, what i do???

I bought some more cured live rock to add to my tank. And while adding the new big pieces I was doing some rearranging when all of the sudden a bazillion white hairs came out of nowhere! What is it? Will it settle down again??? It looks like someone tossed a million pieces of 2-4 inch white threads in the tank. 8O

Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just rechecked on it and it looks different...now instead of a million white strings the stringy crap has formed together and made a couple big long strands. Here are some pictures. Is this cause I never vacumned under my live rock when I cleaned the tank or what? Should I net it out or just hope it resettles and goes back into hiding 8O 8O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stringsohmytworesize_wizard-1.jpg (81.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg stringsohmy1resize_wizard-1.jpg (122.7 KB, 74 views)

Old 10-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Stuart Send a message via MSN to Stuart
I have no real idea what that is mate. It kind of looks like comb jelly or hyrdazoiid tentacles....... might that be it?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Sorta looks like dead coral strings also. Sorta the remnants of what happens when a coral dies. I know your tank is new, but did you have any coral in there that are missing?

I never vaccum under my liverock either, but I've never seen anything like that happen before. Sorry.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well once it clumped together I netted out what I could.....which in turn caused some of it to unclump and look like tons of hairs floating around again. Anyway a couple hours later it was all resettled and the tank looks crystal clear. The weird thing is I would expect to see my live rock and everything covered in hairs after this crap settled and it's not! Very weird. Anyway the fish and crabs and everything seem fine. When I do my next water change I will vacumn real heavily.

I don't have any corals. I have some blue mushrooms...but they are alive and fine and I don't see how they could cause that. Perhaps something in my live rock died that I was unaware of?? Anyway I retested my nitrates and they are still between 0-5 ppm, ammonia and nitrites 0. So I don't know whatever it is it doesn't seem to have a bad effect.

When you mentioned the dead coral though.....I did have a blue linkia starfish that died. I removed the body but one of the legs was all squishy....maybe some of this stuff came out of him???
Old 10-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
I had sima;ar stuff after a star died
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Maybe you had a cucumber and it spewed out it's intestines? lol
Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
this really looks like a ID question talloulou.. Hope you can get the right coverage here.. :P
Old 10-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
When you mentioned the dead coral though.....I did have a blue linkia starfish that died. I removed the body but one of the legs was all squishy....maybe some of this stuff came out of him???
That's my guess. Honestly, it looks like nothing living at all. When I had a soft coral die, it's remnants looked exactly like those strings, just a different color. Starfish legs are filled with all kinds of goodies, so that's my guess. As long as you see no spikes, all seems well. 8)

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com