Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Kurt! They are definately digitates then. They are single threads and react like you said. I have a lot of them but they aren't clumped together. They pop out of the holes on my LR and I have no idea what their base looks like.

The wierd thing is when they come out. They actually come out during the day sometimes. But not always. Since they are supposed to hide from light, im guessing they are hungry.

I'll try and get some video and a count of how many I see. It's hard to get anything clear because the tank is so bowed.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to post up a picture if you can get a good shot. Seems like from what I've heard, Digitate Hydroids are not the most common thing to have in our tanks, and to have a LOT of them would seem kind of odd. There are also some type of worms that extend a long single "tentacle" in search of food. I have a few of those, but can't really describe it - other than the worm's tentacle is maybe a 1/16th inch in diameter while the Digitate Hydroid is literally the thickness of a very thin thread.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

are these the worms that let out a long string of mucus and then draw it back in? I saw one reeling in a pod once. I have a bunch in my tank.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are spionid worms. What I'm talking about is a worm that actually lives within the rock. Kind of like a spaghetti worm or a peanut worm.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe it's a vermitid snail:Vermitid Snails pictures from aquatic photos on webshots
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry... I meant to say "vermetid snail" but got thrown off by Bonnie's original comment about spionid worms.

Yeah... the ones make their own little tube that pokes you in the fingers when you're not careful, and cast out the mucous strand are vermetid snails. The spionid worms have a pair of feeding tentacles that comes out of the tube, or hole where the thing lives. it doesn't use a mucous net or strand.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, mine don't throw out a mucus net.

I do have some spinoid worms as well. They have little sand encrusted tubes and have 2 thin tentacles that come out.

I originally thought the hydroids were the same thing as the spinoid worms with the little tubes. Except they only had the one tentacle. They are so thin, maybe just a tad thicker than a stand of hair. So I didn't even notice at first that they were different, other than they come out of holes in the rocks. So I looked at them up close and they look exactly like this: http://www.mikesreef.com/images/crit...tchhiker17.jpg

Ill try and get video and pics. Funny thing is, they haven't come out in two days which is unusual. So either the new cleaner shrimp is eating them, or the just arent hungry and are only coming out at night now. Ill keep you updated.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Xtalreef

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a great photo you found there Bonnie - best one I've seen. And that is definitely a digitate hydroid! Guess you just got "lucky" with your rock! I was worried when I saw one in my tank, but then after "chasing" it a few nights I realized there wasn't a single thing I could do about it! And then as soon as I just accepted that it was there... it was gone!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com