Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Oh man...

Today I came home from work to find my pumps, lights and skimmer off around 3 this afternoon. My lights and things are hooked up to the light switch which is the only plug I can really use in my room. We have cleaning ladies that come every friday and they finish around 11 or so. So I walk over, look in my tank, and find one of my clams looks like it's dieing. There was a hermit crab and 2 snails eating it or something. I am so bummed out about this and needed to vent a little bit.

This could have caused a spike in my system and I would have lost all my corals, fish, inverts, etc. I can't even believe these SOB's did this. Probably one of my favorite things(and most expensive at 50 bucks) about my tank and it's gone just like that.

Comments are welcome.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Not cool..
bummer man

Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The clam was a rescue from my moms tank about a month ago. Over the last few days my nitrates shot up to ~20ppm and I did a pwc and they came down a tad to maybe ~10ppm and I didn't feed for a few days to help things a little. I was thinking maybe they shot up becuase the clam was dieing but maybe not. The system shutting down could have just been the nail in the coffin for the poor fellow but who knows.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 12-03-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

how are your peramiters now?
just currious..
Old 12-03-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PH 8.1
Nitrates 10-15ppm
nitrites 0
ammonia 0

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit.

Think Nitrates are exceptable for now? I am going to pick up some more SW tomorrow.
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 12-03-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be conserned with any NO3 with LPS in the tank.. some of your softies dont look too resiliant to NO3 as well.. just be carefull and try to make the correction quick.. you might be looking at a hard road ahead otherwise.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is so sad! But I'd bet that 4 hours without power wasn't really the culprit.

Also...a suggestion. I have a couple of wall switches that are not to be turned off, and they are each covered by a piece of tape. No one has ever flipped then! HTH.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
There is no way that 4 hours without light or pumps killed the clam. As a Hurricane Rita sufferer, I can attest to that. Not to mention they are without lights and water circulation whenever they are shipped. I would be looking at other reasons.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bummer. But i have to agree 4 hours without lighting/circulation didnt do this.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Home Depot sells switch protectors that cover a switch so that they can't be turned off without being a contortionist. I'd get one of those for the switch, but would agree that's not the culprit. Sounds like it was on the way out to begin with.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com