OH MAN! IS MY ROCK DEAD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbaker82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi i have a question about live rock i bought about 1 1/2 years ago.
since then i have had just normal florescents on it nothing special. i just bought a 4x96 watt pc light from orbit a day or 2 ago it will be here this moring from fed-ex.
My question is i have a little bit of nothing on my rock now. will it come back to life or will i have to buy more? all corline alage and feather looking animals i have some but i would like more.
thanks
michael

If you have any coraline algae then it will come back. Slowly but it will come back. Feather dusters require no light as they are filter feeders so your new lights wont affect them. Your rocks not dead by any means. There is much to live rock that you cant see that doent need light. If you want you can add a few lbs of fresh live rock to give the existing rock a boost.

I agree with what FF said. The other thing is once you have your new lights up and running I'm sure you'll see thing you never knew you had. Not only that but with proper lighting you might start growing things that you couldnt before.

Just my opinion

You might want to think about adding trace elements to your tank. I added a Coral Sun bulb, and started using trace elements in my tank. Within a week I had bright green, and pink algae growing everywhere. Not to mention massive amounts of macro algae on almost every rock.

Wow -- does THIS sound familar! I was in your EXACT same position in December -- had my rock for less than a year under flourescents, and noticed a drastic drop in the coraline after looking at some photos from when I first got it. Anyway, I got the exact same lights in December, and it has all return beautifully. All sorts of shade of purple, and more critters have popped out that I never saw before -- sponges, spagetti worms, feather dusters, and so on.

Don't fret -- it will come back.
Good luck.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom