Oh mannn... what a sleepless night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh WOW my newly set up 132g was giving me a lot of trouble to sleep last night. ALL NIGHT LONG I heard CLICK CLICK CLICK non stop going on in the tank. I know I have at least a pistol shrimp in there because I saw one 2 days ago. By the sounds of it I think it could have at least 10 of them in there.

It was soooooooo LOUD that I could hear it from a good 20 feet away in my bedroom. These pals are a nuisance and not sure if I can cope with them in future. I am not even sure if they are mantis or pistol. But I caught a mantis the other day I bet there are even more in those rocks.

I also saw a BIG hairy mean looking crab in the tank last night. This guy is so hairy just like those hairy spider you normally see on TV. I will look for opportunity to catch it as I heard crabs are not good.

Oh by the way will those click break the 10mm thick glass I have for my 132g? It was so loud that I am worrying that it might break!!!

I would check and see if it is a pistol or mantis. We had a mantis in ours the rock and all are gone now but we also found 20+ pistols one of which is pregnant . But if all you have is the pistols they should not break the glass. The mantis on the other hand could potentially break it ..But yes they are loud and annoying if you give them a goby they may pair and keep your sand turned for you .....

I believe there are a few fish that will eat smaller mantis. Check some wrasses on liveaquaria.com. You could put mantis in the searc function there and it should pull up a bunch of them. Can you get a pic of the crab? You could, possibly have a decorator crab, or not....

You might want to try the old tilted glass trick to see if you can catch the crab.

Take a glass and put it in your tank but have kind of tilted so that once the crab walks off the LR and down into the glass to get the food at the bottom it will be too steep and slippery for him to walk back out. He will be trapped at the bottom and just pull the glass out of your tank.

I see but wouldn't the food get eaten by the fishes???

weekf said:
I see but wouldn't the food get eaten by the fishes???
Possibly, I think the trick is to do it at night.

You mean fish can't see in the dark even they can smell food they wouldn't find it at night?

They would find it but should not be trapped like the crab would as they could swim out ....

That means the food will be gone even before the crab can find it? Coz crabs are slow???

The fish may or may not find it. The difference is that most fish slow down and sleep at night. Crabs come out to hunt and scavenge. Its a good trick and has worked well for many people. I doubt the fish will get it, but who knows.

So you have fish in the tank yet or no?

Well... I find people here very interesting. There is a "view my gallery" link under my name no one seems to bother to check out. Also there are very few people posting comments on the PhotoGallery section. I wonder if there is anyone interested looking at the pictures or not... :?

I looked at your gallery and I thought it was pretty good. It would not let me post a comment for some reason. But I was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom