Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-14-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 28
oh no

Yep... just broke a mercury thermometer in my tank

75g
__________________

__________________
G LOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Alexwm125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 592
Oh no.....well this question prob isn't going to get a good answer but...are the fish alive? What did you do?


I love my fish!!!
__________________

__________________
Alexwm125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Alexwm125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 592
If they are either

TAKE THEM OUT!!! bUkcet bucket bucket

WATER CHANGES!!! Tons of them...


I love my fish!!!
__________________
Alexwm125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SpaceFish42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,168
How did it break?
__________________
SpaceFish42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No problem. Nothing will be harmed.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
yeah, the mercury will bead up on the bottom and can easily be removed, plus it isn't water soluble, so no worries.
Now if the fish eat the mercury....






and where did you get a thermometer with mercury in it for your fish tank??
they haven't used mercury in thermometers for at least a couple decades.


was it silver or red liquid?
if silver- mercury
red-alcohol
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
oh no

+1

Elemental mercury should be no problem at all, just siphon it out. Don't handle it as we use to as kids, we now know it can be absorbed thru the skin. But it won't dissolve in SW. That was a old thermometer!

"Elemental mercury is toxic primarily through inhalation of mercury vapors. It is only slowly absorbed through the skin, although it may cause skin and eye irritation. Elemental mercury droplets may be absorbed through eye contact. Ingestion is not an important route of acute exposure as almost no elemental mercury is absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract."


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.