Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OH NO!!

I just saw a small mantis shrimp in my tank!!!

I saw it dart into a hole, and I jabbed into the hole furiously with a skewer ... maybe I got him, but I have to believe I didn't.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll be learning how to rid my tank of a mantis shrimp. Any sucess stories out there?

Sigh.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't know if there are rules against posting to other forums here (believe it or not I've been on forums that don't like competition) but here is a forum that is all about Mantis shrimp, most of these people WANT them though.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=37

Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

one of the ways I've heard works the majority of the time is if you see him hide in a rock, take that rock out of the tank and dip it into a bowl of RO water. What I've heard is that it will vacate the rock almost immediately. You'll want to then place it in a SW holding bin until you can give it away/sell it etc. Just make sure the RO water isn't too cold.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll give the skewer technique another day or two - I didn't hear any snapping last night. I'm going to make a trap and see what I can catch. I'm going after some crabs, too.

I can't IMAGINE what it must be like with a mantis in a big tank 8O . My tank is only 30 gallons! THe bad thing is, the hole that I skewered him is in the largest rock - the centerpiece rock on which the ENTIRE aquascape rests.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you killed him in the tank, won't that reek havoc with your amonia levels when he starts to decay?

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I doubt it (I hope not!!!), he was small, and my crabs and snails are very efficient!

I'm still testing frequently, though, and I'm ready to respond with a 20 gallon garbage can full of premixed SW if necessary. This morning the water was ok, and I'll check it again today.

Livestock I added:

Old 03-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
There are more caves in that rock than you know about. I hope that you got him, but my money is on the mantis. For an invert they are quite intelligent. :|
I did catch mine, but even with a good trap it took almost a month.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com