oh no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaBaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi
i have a few questions i just came back from vac. and i let my friend take care of my tank wile i was gone. well come to find out he used tap water to make up for the water evap. instead of my distilled i had beside the tank. now i got globs of hair allege on my rocks and on the sand bottom. i just did a 20-30% water change on my tank and now i got clumps of the allege in my sand. i scrubbed my rock and got off most of it. my question is how can i hget rid of all my hairalage.
my sec question is now i think my regeal tank has a white alcer on his head. and it looking bad. how do i help him out?

Just keep doing the water changes. The hair algae will burn itself out with you removing the phosphates. Also, the tangs issue could be water related and the water changes should help him also.

Is he swimming around and eating? I'd leave him where he is for now. Hopefully someone with more experience with sick fish will be by soon.

Then the water changes may be enough to help him. If he was topping off and your water went south enough to cause a major hair algae bloom, it may be the cause of tangs illness as well.

i hope so ! could he have hole in the head ?
what does it look like?
and how long will it take for the hair alage to go away?
thanks

I would not put copper in the tank. That`s for parasites. I understand that he has an ulcer which would be a bacterial or fungus problem. But I believe Fluff gave some good advice in keep doing water changes right now and if it gets worse hopefully Steve or Shark or Lando or another advisor which can tell you how to treat with marycin or other anti biotic. Good day

Good luck but dont let it get wose if it does write back and let an advisor tell you what to do

You should actually do a few good sized changes with well aged/aerated SW over the next week+. Once weekly will not be effective enough to help reverse the problem. The tank has a much higher nutrient level (DOC) than before which is one of the more common causes of bacterial/Lympho problems. In milder cases the reduction in organics feeding the bacteria will often be enough providing the fish's immune system is up to par. Antibiotics are only needed where the problem persists or becomes enflamed/hemorrhaged.

Also be sure your foods are fortified/soaked with a good marine liquid vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] prior to feedings.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom