Oh the humanity!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was sitting at the TV tonight winding down from the day and getting ready to go to bed when I heard a strange noise from my tank. I look over to find water cascading from the corner all over my hard wood floor. I ran quickly to get anything that resembled a bucket and the full stack of bath towels from the closet. Then I remembered the old 20 gal fish tank that I had and decided very quickly to set it up for the interim. Needless to say I'm not so tired now and probably wont sleep for a couple of hours. I don't know if this is an isolated incident but right at the moment I'm very disappointed in Red Sea as this tank is only 3 1/2 months old. Here are a few pics.
img_902309_0_a8859b1a05400002bc2985b14b1300d1.jpg

img_902309_1_7ad3cd2602721aa2bb935fbb6eae4e91.jpg

img_902309_2_3ca0829ffd702ae3830cf03d87d13ad2.jpg

Here is the quick set up where everyone now resides... Except for the sand bed is in a bucket on the floor.
img_902309_3_928e745d506ca9ef6dd68f0943ca674c.jpg

I hope that never happens to me. Luckily it happened when you were around at least.

Ohhhhhh.... that's so not good. But I suppose the bright side is that you were around when it decided to go, like AndrewH mentioned.

I don't think its that uncommon. My moms tank cracked in almost the same spot on the corner like that. Hers was a JBJ nano cube though. They were pretty good about RMAing the product but it didn't help much because she had to buy a new tank right away so everything didn't die. So now we have an extra 24g nano cube tank sitting around.

I don't think its that uncommon.

I actually hope that it is uncommon. It's a horrible thing though. Do warranties cover that since it is only 3 and a half months old? Maybe there was an imperfection in the corner there.

They replaced our tank under warranty after we provided pictures of the crack. I think the way they bend the glass in the corners like that makes them a bit more at risk to crack. I don't mean to say that it happens all the time. Just saying compared to how often normal tanks have problems and crack i think the nanos with the bends in the corners have a higher occurrence.

Most of the time a tank is under warranty if it is on a stand made by the tank manufacturer. If you don't buy their stand then you usually have 90 days.

I would check the stand and see if it is level. Chances are there was stress put on that corner because of an imperfection in the stand.

Well the LFS went good for the tank and is now set up again. I thought about the tank being out of level as well checked everything and its all good. Cross my fingers it doesn't happen again.

Read through my thread...it can happen again...make sure that your stand is on a flat surface and is perfectly level and that the tank is sitting flat on the top of the stand

Read through my thread...it can happen again...make sure that your stand is on a flat surface and is perfectly level and that the tank is sitting flat on the top of the stand

This is going to have everyone checking thier tanks when they get home. :)

I don't want to put undue stress on anyone but after 2 tanks cracking on me in less then a month I want everyone to pay close attention to what their stand is doing.

I don't want to put undue stress on anyone but after 2 tanks cracking on me in less then a month I want everyone to pay close attention to what their stand is doing.

Great advice anyways. You rarely read on other sites in the "How to" sections mentioning this.

Most people forget how important a good foundation is, especially when supporting a lot of weight...
i think this is very true. i only have a 29 gallon and was very surprised to find out how heavy it is when full.

Back
Top Bottom