Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Oh what a difference a bulb makes (pics)

Some of you will remember my thread on the 175W MH 10K Vion bulb, well yesterday, I got my Ushio 10K bulb to replace it. One thing that surprised me was the way our eyes and brains adjust to the different spectrums we see. The tank looked the same as it did when I first put in the Vion, but over a couple of weeks time, to me it looked very white, rather than the yellow green it did when I first put it on the tank. That was until I put on the Ushio. OK, onto the pics so you can see for your self (questions to follow).

(Very Old) Venture 6500K MH w/7100K PC "actinic"

Ushio 10K w/"true" actinic PC

Vion 10K w/"true" actinic PC

175W MH Ushio 10K only

175W MH Vion 10K only

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The difference is stunning...isn't it? I thought the corals were happy with the new vion bulb...With the Ushio my xenia began pulsing like crazy and the acros simply love it. WooHoo, I'm very pleased with this bulb, it was Sooooo worth the extra $20.

Anyway, onto the questions.
When I got the Ushio yesterday, when I pluged it in, it didn't fire, I had to turn off the MH and then start it again. It fired the second time. Does the bulb require a pulse start? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it might (but I might be thinking of HQI). Any thoughts?

Old 12-31-2002, 12:24 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Kevin, that last pic looks like you lit your tank with a high pressure sodium bulb. Are the colors true? Perhaps the bulb messed with the camera's settings? Surely the Vion is not that yellow. Even my 5500K Hameltons are no where near as yellow. I once put HPS over my tanka s an experiment and that is what that the last pic looks like. I've seen pics of maiceman's tank, those were not as yellow either.
Maybe it's just the contrast of all the pics together.

Just wondering...

Mark
Old 12-31-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

No, it was not quite that yellow looking...but close I agree it could simply be the contrast. I think it is hard to compare, maiceman had alot more water and space to diffuse the light, and was bound to be using a different ballast, I use the ballast supplied with the CSL prism pendant (it indicates nowhere on there what type it is, probably a magnetic. Mine was over a 20L tank. There is also the possibility the bulb was bad. In any case, I am very happy with the Ushio, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Old 12-31-2002, 01:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You have a beautiful tank!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

My ballasts are from Graingers.... Advanced Transformer M-57.

A quick note on those ballasts.. they more then doubled in price since I bought them in September. From $37.50 to $83 each.

Also the restart with the new bulb can probably be attributed to transformer temperature and how the integration of the starting coil works in the circuit. After the transformer is up to operating temp and the bulb has been started the coil is eliminated from the circuit. Upon a short shutdown and restart the transformer is still at temp which keeps the starting coil from boosting the voltage and lighting the lamp. If left on for a longer period the lamp would probably light. At least this is my understanding of the circuit...... electronics class was 10 years ago. 8O
Old 01-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm convinced.... I wrote Hellolights today and they worked out a return deal for me... $82 refund on exchange for the Ushio lamp.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Thanks for the post reefrunner. Although the tank looks really nice with the 10000k's . I think I like the color of the 6500k better.

Anyway, what size is your reef tank?
Old 01-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealprater
Thanks for the post reefrunner. Although the tank looks really nice with the 10000k's . I think I like the color of the 6500k better.
Beware, that 6500K was atleast 2.5yrs and probably closer to three years old. When it was new it was very yellow, over tme it shifted to the white/red spectrum that you see in that pic. If possible, before you purchase one, try and see a newer one burning, you may not like the color at all.

Quote:
Anyway, what size is your reef tank?
20L

Old 01-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
thanks.

so thats the tank that has the 9 corals for 99.

could you post a pic with the corals you bought from jeffs circled?

Tags
bulb, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com